Where Do I Start - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

where do i start

new property owners need to have electric and water run where do i start and how much of this can we do ourselves live under kentucky laws
wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright View Post
new property owners need to have electric and water run where do i start and how much of this can we do ourselves live under kentucky laws
Unless you are an licensed electrician and plumber, none of it. Get both licensed trades to pull permits and do the work / get inspections where mandated.

I am by no means trying to be a d#ck about this, I understand both trades extremely well by default working side by side. Does not qualify me in the slightest to do it. Very technical and very dangerous at times.

Good luck.
lemon714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon714 View Post
Unless you are an licensed electrician and plumber, none of it. Get both licensed trades to pull permits and do the work / get inspections where mandated.
Are you saying its illegal in Kentucky for a homeowner to DIY electric or plumbing ?

In MA we are not allowed to do plumbing

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I am not certain the rules are quite that inflexible. Even in Massachusetts, where only the power company can actually install power up to your house, you are permitted to dig your own trench if you want underground power. Depending on the POCO, you may even be allowed to furnish (probablynot install) the conduit.

As for water, I think the rules in MA are that you can dig your own trench, but the water district is going to require that a licensed contractor actually make the connection to their water supply system. As to the physical installation of the pipe to the house, I have not personally seen a water district allow the homeowner to install their own pipe up to the house, but perhaps in KY the rules are more flexible.

The best way to get an answer is to contact your water supply district and your power company. They have the final say in how it goes.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Where I live in Pa. you can do all your owne work as long as it will pass inspection.I ran my water line from the house to the street where the water company did the final hookup.I also did the electric for my home but did hire a lic electrician to check it all and do the boxes befor the inspection.So what I am tell you Wright is you need to check your local code to see what you can do and what you cant and then do what your knowledge allows .Good luck
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

When I had my service feed buried I had to hire an electrician
I dug the trench (backhoe) & put the sand in
Electrician ran the conduit, wire & meter & made connections at the house
He had to leave wire at the pole w/enough slack for POCO to connect
POCO made the final connection at the pole

As stated, contact your local POCO & Building Dept to see what you can do

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement