What's The Name Of A Door Threshold Where Door Butts Up Against The Threshold? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

What's the name of a door threshold where door butts up against the threshold?

BACKGROUND: I have a situation where there is seasonal movement of my cement slab. Consequently, the door that goes from the garage to the interior of my house, shifts! --Every spring the door binds enough so I can't close it for about 6 months. I've read where, in Denver, they have the same problem (basement floors) such that they actually build "floating walls" (and floating doors) in basements to deal with the seasonal heaving of the soil/basement floors. I am going to try this with my door problem. In learning about floating walls, on the web, I came across a door threshold wherein (a) the threshold installs under the door (like any threshold), but (b) this type of threshold is built such that part of the threshold raises up far enough so that the side of the closing door butts up against the raised portion of the threshold. Thus, the side of the door(near the very bottom of the door) is what seals the door, preventing air infiltration. With the side of the door butting up against the threshold, this allows me to let 1/4" to 3/8" of space to be between the threshold and the bottom of the door ---so the floor can shift without binding the bottom of the door! PROBLEM: For over a week I have been trying to find the website (or any website) that has those types of thresholds. ---Can't find it. I know these thresholds exists, but I can no longer find them on the web. Please help. ---Jaes.

Last edited by jaes; 08-31-2015 at 06:57 PM.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaes View Post
(a) the threshold installs under the door (like any threshold), but (b) this type of threshold is built such that part of the threshold raises up far enough so that the side of the closing door butts up against the raised portion of the threshold. Thus, the side of the door(near the very bottom of the door) is what seals the door, preventing air infiltration.

It could be a bumper threshold. (I don't think it's what you want, as a threshold like you describe is a trip hazard.) I would consider an automatic door sweep.

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Door.../dp/B00869SOXM

http://www.hagerco.com/Product-Listi...5&SubCatID=279

Last edited by keymaster; 08-31-2015 at 08:57 PM.
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 147

Thank you Keymaster. Yes! "Bumper" threshold is what I was looking for! It was so long since I saw it on the internet, that I described wrongly (it does not go under the door).
I very much appreciate the rapid response and all of the effort you put into helping me (e.g., the web links). ----- Jaes.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaes For This Useful Post:
keymaster (08-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 948

An automatic sweep (or also a door bottom, shown below), will move up and out of the way, then close with the door to seal off drafts. It can be used with a variety of thresholds. It is self adjusting. This would be my recommended approach.

keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keymaster For This Useful Post:
Msradell (08-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement