What To Use? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What to use?

I have a 16x24 wood building with a metal roof. I have built it to higher standard than most backyard storage buildings.I am at the point of insulating the walls and attic space and installing a ceiling.I know what everybody uses around here( South Carolina) but almost everyday I go out there and open the roll up door there is water(moisture) on my new lawn mower and on my motorcycle! I have even had some of my tools start rusting if I havent used them in awhile! I need to make sure I get this right! Its 2x4 walls 16 on center, rafters 2x4 24 on center. Which type of insulation to use and which way to face the paper, vapor barrier or not? Air can flow through the attic space from edge of roof to middle but have no plastic channels installed yet. I plan on installing a small heat pump from a buddy of mine in the business to have a place that is comfortable for hobbies after I get my big shop built! I started this smaller building before last summer and it is blistering hot in there when the sun comes out!
springer44mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I'll bet it is raining in the shed. Steel roofs with no insulation condenses like crazy. I would install some kind or run off liner under the roof to direct the condensation to the outside and I would use foam panel insulation.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

I think hayewe farm has it correct. GBR in WA posted a reply to another member with the following link that you should review. http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/
This link applies to crawlspaces rather than ceiling condensation, but read the link to understand why you're probably getting condensation on the ceiling. Hope this helps.
ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Lots of Help

Thanks for the advice! The article was great information.
springer44mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Until you get it fixed, here's a hint for keeping rust off your tools. Buy a good, thick terry BEACH towel. Not a cheap one. Simply cover your tools with this beach towel. No rust forms. It's a good thing to do all the time, even after your situation is remedied.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Another trick I use to protect tools: As a machinist/mechanic for 38 years and owning my own machinist tools, years ago I started asking everyone I know to save me those little dessicant bags that come in boxes of various items. I put those little dessicant pillows in the drawers of my machinist chest, my hand tool box drawers, etc. In my shop, in humid S. GA., I won't tell you I have never seen rust on any tools, but there has been very little rust to form on any of them. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement