What Size For Inexpensive Temporary Patio/deck? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 267

what size for inexpensive temporary patio/deck?

friend has new construction house being built but not putting formal deck on back yet. Will do a couple of years from now. For now the sliding doors just step down 3 feet to a level grass backyard. We want to build a "temporary" deck/patio for him to step down onto to put a grill and table, so they are not on the grass and dirt.

So we want to just build a 10X20 or 12X20 "dancefloor" box. we won't pour footings i will just have the corners float on bricks/blocks. My question is what is minimum size joist i can run for 10 foot or 12 foot from hanger to hanger? If i can get away with a 2X10 without sagging then i won't overpay for 2X12's. If i can get away with 2X8 then i wont use 2X10. Get it?

I just want to support the outside frame on some bricks/blocks it will only be a few inches off the ground. there will be no rails.

Again, i only expect this to last 2 or 3 summers of barbecuing, we won't even be using PT i think it would be cheaper to use untreated and just seal with 3 gallons of sealer/stain.

I think i can do this for a couple hundred bucks instead of several thousand for a permanent formal deck 3 feet off ground with railings.

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by windowguy; 05-31-2010 at 06:41 PM.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement