What To Do With This Asbestos Tile? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 2 Post By JazMan

Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

What to do with this asbestos tile?

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this forum and to home ownership. I'm trying to diy most updates and I'm starting with the very tiny 2nd floor bathroom. I removed the sheet vinyl floor and low and behold, there are asbestos tiles underneath. I'm assuming they're held down by mastic on the plywood subfloor. Most seem to still be sticking well, but a few are coming up at the edges. The floor seems pretty stable with not much flex when I jump up and down.

I plan to install really nice, really expensive porcelain tile planks and I don't want to mess this up! My question is what's the best way to proceed? Would you

1. remove them (I've read up on the precautions for doing this and fairly sure I do not want to pay for a professional abatement). If I do this, how should I handle the mastic mess leftover? Would I cement board right over that and to add stability to the plywood subfloor?

Or 2. Glue back down the loose asbestos tiles and then put down cement board over the asbestos tile and tile over that?

Or 3. Is there a thin set that could adhear to the asbestos tile surface so I could tile directly over the asbestos?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this asbestos tile?-image.jpg  
Audball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Re: What to do with this asbestos tile?

As long as the floor is ok, I'd use 1/2" cement board over the commercial tile and screw down every 6". Floor tile must use thinset, not glue. Thinset sticks to a lot of things, but commercial tile is not a good underlayment, even if none was lifting.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 754

Re: What to do with this asbestos tile?

Remove the tiles, then look for a thin layer of underlayment over the subfloor. Vinyl, vinyl asbestos or rubber tiles are (usually) not installed direct to the wood subfloor. If you find this ~" ply, remove it, what's left should be the subfloor. This scenario applies to houses of a certain are, yours may be different but we don't know its age or where it is.

There's other factors to consider, but start with this.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
asbestos , bathrooms , tile