What A Bad Start - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

what a bad start

starting to build a house and things are just not going right! the day they(contracted out the basement) started the basement they were in the middle of pouring the footer and out of nowhere a nasty storm just rolls right in. thats the first mess,but everything seems good now as far as that(other than it just keeps raining everyday)! but today my floor system and roof trusses got delivered and wouldnt you know it, half way off the back and the whole stack just flips wright off the side of the truck! my gables broke, a couple of the open web joists got mangled and some other stuff twisted. they said they would go good for what ever go messed up but the more i think about the more id lke to just send the whole back.
any input or advice would be appreciated.
roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I guess that is why a general contractor actually earns his pay. We schedule for these things. We have a site prepared so that proper access and level ground is available for such deliveries. Just do not panic and plan better and things will get better. Post questions here no matter how simple they seam. Many will help.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

My dad poured concrete underwater at his lake property, I thought - cool! This was the early '60's. The rain will make for a smooth finish, look at it as a blessing. The lumber....... is the salesman's responsibility, you only have to document everything and take pictures. Unless you directed where to dump it. Do you think he is sleeping well tonight? Or the driver? It can only (hopefully) get better! Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

i talked to the company today, and they took full responsability. they are sending one of there engineers to the site and said he will inspect every single piece, with me there! thet set back in time kinda sucks, but im impressed how responsive they were to the situation. they said they will absolutly make things right. sound good as long as they fallow through.
roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good luck. Take lots of pics when they are there. Document.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Have the rest of the materials been stacked off the ground in a level manner and covered with tarps? This is very important because if the materials that are good warp it will make some of them unusable and/or a pain to use. Don't let the sun work on them either. Even though things will be in the elements for a short time during the building process, the more you can protect them, the better.
Advertisement