Wet Basement Surface Or From Below - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 406

wet basement surface or from below

I have water stains coming up thru the slab in the basement of my 1938 build stone foundation home. I thought it was maybe surface water as that I have a steep hill in my backyard but I dug down a few feet the day after the last rainstorm and it was dry. How can I tell if its surface coming down foundation or from below ?
Attached Thumbnails
wet basement surface or from below-basement-water-1.jpg  
lpranger467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,456

Re: wet basement surface or from below

Tape a piece of plastic or a plastic garbage down to the concrete for a day or two. Water underneath when you pull it up says the water is coming up through the slab.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 554

I'd drill a small hole down about 6" and see if water comes through it. As well as wait and see if the water stains has a cycle of dark (assumed wet)/light (assumed dry). Moisture meter would help also. As noted, you can tape a plastic on the floor, but that will only tell you that there is a moisture which can condense but not tell you if there is a underground water under pressure. Did you just notice this or remember a history of it? If you want to finish that floor soon, I'd cut a channel toward the sump and use that tiles with bumps to raise the floor.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 406

we bought the house a year ago and knew it had some wet basement issues (we got the house cheap). I thought grading would handle but were still getting these stains. The back yard does have a steep hill but it seems to me the water is coming from under the slab and not down the wall
lpranger467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement