Water Seeping In Wood-directly-on-concrete Structure - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water seeping in wood-directly-on-concrete structure

I'm a homeowner and had a carport built with two storage sheds when we built our house. They were framed in wood, have cedar siding and chipboard walls inside. The cedar siding and chipboard sit directly on the concrete slab. The cedar has been stained with a protective stain.

Our problem is every time there's a rain, the water wicks up the chipboard and seeps into the storeroom floors, sometimes an inch or two of standing water. (At least, that's how I think the water gets in.) I assume it's coming in from the bottom. The builder has been out twice to "re-caulk" the bottom which is a laughable solution to this problem.

I'm no genius, but is it proper to terminate an exterior wood wall like that, i.e., with no transition material between concrete slab and wood? I am exasperated and can't figure out how else to remedy this other than maybe pour an exterior concrete "baseboard" to keep the water from wicking up. Or maybe create a "baseboard" by setting tile on the concrete against the wood ? At this point, I don't care much about looks.

By the way, the builder also didn't put in any ventilation or screened openings in the storerooms so it takes forever to dry out. Nice, huh?

Many, many thanks for comments and suggestions.
Herd_Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,602

building underwater is tough & challenging while life can be difficult when 1 doesn't realize water runs downhill chipboard be sitting on conc ? who's the genius who placed it in a low spot ? not to mention why p/t lumber wasn't used which may be not up to code altho i suspect code wouldn't apply to this structure.

even bubble gum's a better ' transition material ' than what you have now tho i have no idea what you have in mind nor, i suspect, do you rip it out & do it right starting w/getting rid of the low spot !

ps - imo, most competent bldrs generally do complete jobs according to whatever ' specs ' you refer OR accepted const practices,,, sometimes 'back-of-the-truck- contractors, while cheaper, do not did you specify vents ? who accepted & paid for the work when done ?

Last edited by stadry; 06-10-2010 at 05:19 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #3

itsreallyconc , Thanks for taking the time to read my post. To answer your questions would take a while and those issues about what was specified and who signed off are really irrelevant at this point (long story).

My problem now is how to remedy the water leaking. I think I might end up trying to fashion some sort of "baseboard" out of concrete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 806

Can you post some pictures?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

An inch or two of water isn't wicking. It's flooding and must mean that the floor is below the level of the surounding ground. Nothing will keep out the water until the grade around it is lower than the floor and sloping away from the floor.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

Yes I'll try to get some photos posted tomorrow. And that makes sense that it's not really wicking but rather flooding. This means that the water has to come in and essentially not encounter anything that would absorb it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement