Water Leak - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CosmicMiami

Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 321

Water Leak

I live in Miami. Just so y'all know.

Recently we had our front door replaced. It's an older home and the door was an inswing. That is not storm rated so while we had some flooring work being done, we replaced the door to an impact rated, outswing, door.

Today is the first day it is raining since the install. It's raining pretty good here and I come home and notice that there is water dripping from the inside of the jamb. With the older door, I noticed that rain water sometimes dripped down the outside of the door but figured it was just water dripping down from the exterior but never gave it any consideration. This water, I believe, is coming from inside the exterior block wall.

The former owner installed steel framed, canvas awnings on the exterior. Two of the tapcon screws used to secure the awning frame to the exterior seem to be sitting out a little and not driven in completely.

My question is, how do I seal the tapcon screw holes properly? Can I just goop some sealant into the screw holes and then replace the tapcons on the awning frame? To be sure, there is no water running down exterior wall under the awning that would make its way into the exterior frame of the door. It's completely dry under the awning.
CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,548

Re: Water Leak

Where on the jamb? Can you supply a picture?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

The leak is at top of the frame actually. I can't take pics now because of the rain. The outside wall though is dry. I'm confident the water is not coming in from around the door frame. It's sealed well. Wind is out of the northeast and this is a west facing door. So that eliminates any wind driven rain. NO water around the jamb or the threshold. It's dripping from the top and coming from inside the block. That's just my amateur opinion.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 772

It is difficult to assess without pictures, and it seems unlikely to me that several tapcon screw holes could create that type of leaking thru a block wall....

But to test if the tapcons are the problem,, why not throw up some silicon caulk around those tapcons and see if that alleviates the dripping. I don't think necessarily that to just test if that is the leaak, that I would bother to pull the tapcons at this point... just seal around them at this stage. (Pulling the tapcons can lose some of there hold in concrete/block when reinstalled.)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 772

Just curiosity, why an outswing door... is that a hurricane issue in a windstorm area.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Just curiosity, why an outswing door... is that a hurricane issue in a windstorm area.
Yes. It is a requirement. One can have an inswing. But that requires storm panels on the outside.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
Yes. It is a requirement. One can have an inswing. But that requires storm panels on the outside.
Miami problems lol.Hopefully you find a solution to the leak soon.I was born and raised down there and now live in San Antonio,Tx.
Redland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,012

Is there a window above the door.?

What does the roof over the door look like.?

Can you give us some pictures.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

No window. I have figured it out. It was indeed one of the tapcons securing the awning. It rained the other day but the wind was blowing in another direction. It only happens when there is a good breeze out of the east that blows onto the exterior wall. This is an old home (50+) with not much soffit and no gutters. I sealed it all up and I'm good. Need to get some gutters installed eventually but that's after other improvements.

Thanks Redland.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,834

miami/dade must have a diff code - we're in boca w/std in-swings
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement