Warming Caulk Quickly - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Ohming

Rewards Points: 25

warming caulk quickly

Does anyone have a tip for warming a tube of caulk (quickly) for easy dispensing. As the weather cools off, it is getting tougher to dispense and I just broke another caulking gun from over-gripping it!
Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If it's a cardboard tube, put it inside a sealed plastic bag, like a zip lock bag. Get as much air out of the bag as possible. If it's a plastic tube, you can eliminate the bag. Imerse the bag and caulk tube in a bucket of warm water. Warm, not hot. If it is overheated, the caulk could expand and push the piston out of the bottom out of the tube or it could become more runny than you might like.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

When gluing subfloor decking, we would put the tubes on the warm engine area under the van's hood. Then I bought a pneumatic glue gun which solved the problem, just increase the air pressure at the handle! Blew a tube every 8th house or so, but reasonable when working in the snow and ice. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Ohming

I am wondering how storing any caulk to be used in the next few weeks on top of my hot water heater would work?

Ok, lets get the Mythbuster ideas out of the way also; Has anyone microwaved a tube?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I wouldn't try it. If it's water based, you could rupture the tube. If it's anything else, it probably has some solvents in it. Some tubes have metal parts. My microwave doesn't much like metal stuff. The water heater thing may be OK........... or not. Read the part above about solvents and think flammable near a heat source..... or source of ignition.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Ohming

I hear you on the nuker and metals. My water heater is electric, was thinking of putting the tubes in zip-lock bags / old tupperware etc. Storage elevation would depend on temp of heater top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement