Want To Add A "Room"... But AC Trouble - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Want to add a "Room"... but AC trouble

So here's the situation.
I'm a small time landlord who rents a building that has a couple efficiency apartments.
They are nice, but really quite small. In fact, so small that I have difficulty finding renters, and a lot of times they end up leaving for something with more space.

Now one of the apartments however, has something that might pose a solution, but I can't quite figure out what to do.
It has an attached covered porch, and an access door to it (see picture, "D")

The apartment just has one big room, "A", a hallway with the door to the porch "B", and a small back bedroom, "C".
I'd like to do something with the porch, make it into a bit more of a liveable/usable space, but funds are limited.
I can put a rain proof ceiling in by screwing in Tuf Rib panels sloping downward, attached to the rafters, away from the house easy enough.
And, probably without too much trouble, put some walls in and kind of enclose or screen the deck area, even put a door in front. To make a sort of three season room, or maybe just a storage shed.

But what to do about the air conditioner?
The apartment is wired 20 amp to plug an AC unit in the hallway window (B), which is in the center of the apartment, which blows out onto the deck.

What I'm worried about is, if I start enclosing the deck, if the moist exhaust from the AC unit will get trapped in the outside "room".
For instance, if a roof is put in sloping down away from the house, will the moist air rise and get trapped? Or am I overthinking this.

I feel that due to the layout of the apartment, putting the AC unit in say the bedroom (C) or large room (A) is not going to be in the center of the unit and may not work so well, its seems it has to go in that window (B).

Am I making sense. What does anyone recommend insofar as what to do with this porch area, and what is the right way to do it. Again I don't have a lot of money, but I'd like to do something to give renters some more room in this tiny apartment. At the very least, a dry area they can store things that has you know, some enclosure so the stuff can't be stolen.
Any ideas... thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to add a "Room"... but AC trouble-conundrum.png  

Last edited by jeffpas; 07-30-2019 at 08:17 PM.
jeffpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,224

Re: Want to add a "Room"... but AC trouble

What is above the porch ceiling?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

An outdoor deck. There is an upstairs apartment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

admin please delete this post its obviously DOA, lol thanks
I wish we had the ability to edit our own stuff.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 986

I saw this initially, but didn't join in because I have no solution. You kinda answered yourself in the post anyway. Can't move the A/C, can't exhaust into a closed room. Can't really enclose this area with walls as the Assessor might re-evaluate that, and the Building Dept. may want something more permanent. Besides, any tenants I've ever had needs space for boxes and tiny crap (few use bins) that they don't want outside or a chance at exposure through leaks or insects/vermin. Solution for unmarketable is lower rent.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,464

Posts don't get deleted regardless of whether the questions are answered.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement