Walls To Tall - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,813
Rewards Points: 5,746
Default

Re: Walls to tall


If the floor to ceiling without drywall is 9' 1.5" you are not that far off. Ceiling drywall goes up first so that takes up 1/2". Then you don't set the drywall on the floor, up 1/2" would be common. That leaves the bottom of your drywall still backed by 1/2" of bottom plate.

If you don't like the gap, install a piece of something to fill it after the drywall is up.

Bud
Bryan n Deb likes this.
__________________
I volunteer my help and opinions, but you are responsible for what YOU choose to do with that information.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Inspector don't like the 3rd on top but the extra one on the bottom never seems to raise eyebrows.
Only planned on 1 top and 1 bottom. I pretty much have to add to the bottom or there will be no place to attach the bottom of the sheetrock.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #18
Member
 
Two Knots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,002
Rewards Points: 3,879
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
Right, and nobody will know about the 1.5 inches. As stated above I will have about 1.5 inches not covered by sheetrock at the bottom of the wall.
I would say that the builder has to add a 1 1/2 strip of Sheetrock
and sparkle and tape as well. Seems to me its his problem, not yours.
This will be covered with floor molding anyhow.
__________________
Behind every clever man is an astonished woman!
*Joann*
Dogs love me, men fear me!
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I would say that the builder has to add a 1 1/2 strip of Sheetrock
and sparkle and tape as well. Seems to me its his problem, not yours.
This will be covered with floor molding anyhow.
I am the builder, I hired a crew to put up a shell. My problem.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #20
Member
 
Two Knots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,002
Rewards Points: 3,879
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
I am the builder, I hired a crew to put up a shell. My problem.
Oh, no matter, you still need to Sheetrock, tape and sparkle the bottom
before adding the molding.
__________________
Behind every clever man is an astonished woman!
*Joann*
Dogs love me, men fear me!
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #21
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,277
Rewards Points: 18,444
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
Only planned on 1 top and 1 bottom. I pretty much have to add to the bottom or there will be no place to attach the bottom of the sheetrock.
OK, confused me, the normal is 2 plates on top
and you have 104 1/4 + 4 1/2 wall at 108 3/4 in Canada
or 104 5/8 + 4 1/2 wall is 109 1/8


5/8 ceiling goes up first leaving 1/4" in Canada. and nothing in the US
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
OK, confused me, the normal is 2 plates on top
and you have 104 1/4 + 4 1/2 wall at 108 3/4 in Canada
or 104 5/8 + 4 1/2 wall is 109 1/8


5/8 ceiling goes up first leaving 1/4" in Canada. and nothing in the US
I could be wrong but because the walls are not supporting anything I only need one top plate. Also doing 1/2 ceiling rock. I could do 5/8 I guess but an eighth wont make or break this.

Last edited by Bryan n Deb; 01-21-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,277
Rewards Points: 18,444
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
I could be wrong but because the walls are not supporting anything I only need one top plate. Also doing 1/2 ceiling rock.
You want to top plates so the top plate can be lapped where they meet and lock together, You are not supposed to nail them to the trusses just some little clips, the walls need all the help they can get.
All lumber has a crown or bend to it so the top 2 plates are crown opposite to each other and straightened with sucker nails to make the wall straight.

fire rated dry wall should be in your code and it is 5/8 for ceilings
Attached Images
   
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #24
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,277
Rewards Points: 18,444
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
I could be wrong but because the walls are not supporting anything I only need one top plate. Also doing 1/2 ceiling rock. I could do 5/8 I guess but an eighth wont make or break this.
We only do two top plates in basement when we need them for height because everything can be nailed solid to the joists above. We are taking about years of fixing cracks and looking a warped walls. What you need and what you want are two different things.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You want to top plates so the top plate can be lapped where they meet and lock together, You are not supposed to nail them to the trusses just some little clips, the walls need all the help they can get.
All lumber has a crown or bend to it so the top 2 plates are crown opposite to each other and straightened with sucker nails to make the wall straight.

fire rated dry wall should be in your code and it is 5/8 for ceilings
My inlaws just had a house built and 5/8 rock was on the print. Found out later 1/2 was used but building inspector says its fine. Ill make a phone call on that one.
Nealtw likes this.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,904
Rewards Points: 3,182
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Just use 10' sheetrock cut to size.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #27
Contractor/Engineer
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Desert Hot Springs, CA
Posts: 557
Rewards Points: 1,106
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Nail a 1-1/2" nailer for the ceiling sheetrock around the entire perimeter - you need something to nail to anyway. Then frame to 9' for all interior walls.

No big deal - that's the type of task that goes to the new guy. Better yet - have that framing crew do it on their dime.
Attached Thumbnails
Walls to tall-screen-shot-2019-01-21-10.45.48-pm.png  
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Just use 10' sheetrock cut to size.
Thought about that but then id have a vertical seam floor to ceiling every 4 feet.
Id rather lay it down and have 1 seam all the way around the room.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Nail a 1-1/2" nailer for the ceiling sheetrock around the entire perimeter - you need something to nail to anyway. Then frame to 9' for all interior walls.

No big deal - that's the type of task that goes to the new guy. Better yet - have that framing crew do it on their dime.
Wouldnt you have to put nailers up on at least 4' centers all across the rooms?
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,424
Rewards Points: 2,846
Default

Re: Walls to tall


Maybe you need to think about switching to metal studs cut to your required lengths & order 54 inch wide Gypsum Board. Use fire rated deflection track @ the top & cold rolled channel for bridging.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floating Basement Walls jonhayden Building & Construction 15 12-16-2013 08:53 PM
2x4 cabin, what can these walls handle? Ilyae Building & Construction 8 04-08-2013 11:02 AM
Basement Walls - Which Paint?Drylok? HandyFrank Building & Construction 3 10-17-2010 12:07 PM
Insulation of interior walls around fire place ODD Calmeier Building & Construction 5 01-31-2010 05:59 PM
removing concrete parging from basement foundation walls. newzev Remodeling 1 07-24-2009 08:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts