Walls Anchor For Cinder Block - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 163

walls anchor for cinder block

I'm looking to hang my heavy bag mount from the wall in my garage. The mount is a 3-point mount. One at the top and 2 coming down to for a 3 point triangle.

I looked through the selection at home depot. I really wasn't sure what would handle the abuse.

Any recommendations?
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

yeah. through bolt it, its not hard or expensive. you will need a hammer drill and bit. plus the nuts & bolts & large washers.
most anything else will fail.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #3

Do you mean drill all the way through and put bolts on the outside of the other wall?

If so, that's just not possible in this situation.

I have seen them hung this way in gyms. So it will definitely hold up. I just don't know what will work when choosing an anchor for this type of wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
outside of the other wall
what other wall ? brick on the outside ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Food Truck & Old House

Rewards Points: 332

I think a toggle bolt is the best solution in this case, they sell some very nice quality ones, and with 3 of them you could surely hang off of this bag without worry.

Very easy to install aswell assuming you can have a proper masonry bit, no special tools required
KevinEF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,906

Can you hang that bag from the roof rafters instead?

Hanging something really heavy from the wall is inherently more difficult because of the twisting force that you have to overcome with your fasteners.

If you end up using toggle bolts, I would fasten your bag mount to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood with flat head bolts, and then fasten that piece of plywood to the wall with toggle bolts. Drill into the mortar joints to install the toggle bolts rather than the blocks themselves. That way, if you ever want to remove that bag mount, you can simply fill in the holes with new mortar for a nearly invisible repair.

Also, you should be aware that the horizontal mortar joints will be full of mortar whereas the vertical mortar joints will only be filled sufficiently to make them look full. That's because the vertical joints don't support any weight whereas the horizontal joints support the entire weight of the wall above them. Don't install any toggle bolts in the horizontal joints anywhere near a vertical joint. Those areas are full of mortar and the toggle won't be able to open as it should.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-07-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEF7 View Post
I think a toggle bolt is the best solution in this case, they sell some very nice quality ones, and with 3 of them you could surely hang off of this bag without worry.

Very easy to install aswell assuming you can have a proper masonry bit, no special tools required

I think after a bit of reading, these are the way to go. Very easy install and can hold a lot of weight. The upper most mount has 4 holes. The triangulated mounts have 2 homes each. I will get the most heavy duty ones that will fit. I believe with a total of eight toggle bolts in a triangulated fashion should hold quite well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement