Is This Wall Load Bearing? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this wall load bearing?

I am planning on installing a pocket door and am wondering if the portion of the wall that the door slides into is load bearing. That structure in the attic picture is a skylight located over the master vanity area. The other pictures show the skylight from below and and where the pocket door is going. The door will slide to the right into the area below the skylight. My quesiton is if it's okay to remove the studs located in the wall beneath the skylight to install the pocket door frame?

mik3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

In the first picture, there's a wall to the right of the skylight. It has a junction box on it with a bunch of wires. It's holding up a ceiling, so yes, it's load bearing. If you want to re-frame that wall you'll need to support it with a temporary wall set inside the existing wall (under those ceiling joists, jacked up tight to them). It's not that hard. Much easier than re-locating a load bearing wall. ;-)
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
In the first picture, there's a wall to the right of the skylight. It has a junction box on it with a bunch of wires. It's holding up a ceiling, so yes, it's load bearing. If you want to re-frame that wall you'll need to support it with a temporary wall set inside the existing wall (under those ceiling joists, jacked up tight to them). It's not that hard. Much easier than re-locating a load bearing wall. ;-)
The pocket door wall is actually the side of the skylight closer in the picture. The opposite side of the ceiling has nothing there so I was hoping that the skylight framing isnt load bearing at all. I do see the ceiling supports coming down onto the wall with the junction box so I figured that was a load bearing wall.

mik3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

i would say yes as well but not because of the skylight framing above. Its the orientation of the joists, generally speaking perpendicular=loadbearing altho there are exceptions. Also some of the framing may have been changed to accommodate the skylight which may make that a more critical load bearing wall.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

the hip roof is self supporting. The ceiling ties are keeping your exterior walls from bowing out. Anywhere these ceiling ties are ending that is not an outside wall is important to maintain integrity.They are not vertical load bearing other than drywall etc. but have horizontal load. The wall in front of the skylight if the joists head off there will be carrying vertical load

Last edited by tpolk; 01-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement