Wall ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wall ?

We are wanting to buy this old house but have notice the inside wall has kinda come apart from the house in living room and a bedroom which is on other side of living room.

On the outside of house the same wall which is brick kinda bolts out some, not much tho. Can this be fixed and will it cost lots? What has caused the wall to do this? TIA
charlie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.
"kinda come apart"?
do you have any pics?

DM
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,602

don't you really mean ' BOWS ' rather'n ' bolts ' ? ? ? it can be fix'd as most things can but i wouldn't touch it & i've lifted houses to replace foundations,,, im-n-s-h-fo, all you're buying is a LOT AND $$MONEY PIT$$ but i've been wrong before.

i'll venture to say if you don't know the terms or how buildings're built, don't f w/it,,, you're prime for being taken - just the fact you'd even consider it calls into question your level of knowledge/experience/common sense,,, doubtful a mortgage company'd even loan on it so go find another house ! ! !

good luck ! ! !

ps - define ' lots '
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.
"kinda come apart"?
do you have any pics?

DM
First off thank you for the welcome. Second I'm new at this and a female who don't know much about old houses but love them. I will try to get some pics for you, I really love this house.

As for the other person that was rude, please don't comment to any of my post, I have no time for people like you. TIA
charlie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #5

you're welcome but RUDE ? ? ? that wasn't rude,,, rudeness would be personally impugning your level of intelligence publicly - ignorance is fine as we're ALL ignorant about lotsa stuff,,, btw, gender, race, religion, yada, yada, yada is immaterial to this thread as it is to many other things in life,,, just a crutch du jour so just calm your feathers down & read it again impersonally & objectively,,, if you cannot understand it, buy the house - its ONLY a house ! ! !

you'll never learn all you need to know outta apron store books, dvd's, websites, forums, & pamphlets,,, i've see many people ' taken ' because they succumb to a salesman's kinder/gentler manner than they do the objective blunt contractor,,, note i didn't mention ' cheated ' - they were all adults & sign'd contracts even tho they didn't understand the terms & scope of work,,, now THAT's stupid ! ! !

better MAKE some time its only YOUR $ $ $,

ps - i did not imply your skills/expertise/knowledge were minimal but stated it clearly,,, if you inferred a personal insult, i can't help that,,, we often have many questions posted which, it the poster search'd a bit, would find the question(s) asked many times & clearly answered as often,,, to describe my mood as cheerful upon reading the thread's beginning would not be accurate

Last edited by stadry; 08-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

not a builder... just a homeowner here.... and I actually love old homes too!

That being said, if you want a fixer-upper with charm, you really need to find an old home with character and good bones. solid walls and reasonably straight walls, a plumb floor, no bowing roof, a structurally sound chimney, and no carpenter ant or termite problems.

Also, your best friend in the home buying scene (ESPECIALLY if it's an old home) is a good home inspector (that is independent of any realtor or other entity involved in the deal). We paid $800 for a thorough inspection... we turned away from the home... that inspection opened our eyes..... bluntly, taking on foundation and structural issues will undoubtedly cause the selling price+ repair of the home to be vastly more than the renovated home's worth.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
the Musigician

well said. the inspector opened my eyes to a few things here that needed to be done i hadn't noticed.
but we still bought it, as i had the skills necessary to bring everything that got a hit up to code.
absolutely do not buy it without the inspection.

DM
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
long island, NY

oh also, even with old homes with good structure, you'll likely have to shell out 10 grand+ initially (most homes need an electrical upgrade, wall and attic insulation, window/door repairs, and a new furnace/water heater). The inspector will give you the low-down on the home of interest. fixing up an old home is not for the faint of heart I guess that's why we bailed on the old home we were going to purchase.

And since your new to the board, you should know that many posters are pro's, and their guidance on our threads are very valuable. They might occassionally be blunt, but they're looking out for DIY'ers and homeowners best interests. (and please don't use your gender as an excuse for anything.... I'm a female weekend warrior DIY'er... and like to think that I learn techniques and projects as quickly as my male counterparts!)
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #9

before the day/rage du jour of ' home inspectors ', we bought THE civil war relic/house that captured my bride's ( nagzilla, the former ) heart & imagination... that's where i learn'd to HATE old houses

' good bones ' is a great term - we had no solid OR even reasonably straight walls, plumb floor ( wjat's that ? ? ? ), bowing roof ( don't they all ? ? ? ), structurally sound chimney ( HAH ! ! ! ), only a partial crawl space, blt on laid stone piers, balloon construction ( no firestops on the walls - rough saw'd structural 3x5's from the sill to the top of the house, even hair plaster

by the time we finished re-struction, we'd rewir'd, re-plumb'd, rais'd the home 1/2" & excav'd for new conc fnd & bsmt, new sheetrock thru-out, 38square roof, & enough windows to earn a pella gold hat

good bones, indeed,,, on the plus side, she got the house - never imagin'd what a GREAT housekeeper she'd be !

Last edited by stadry; 08-17-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
the Musigician

ah yes.... those treasured memories.... *sigh*

DM
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
long island, NY

I give you credit! we chickened out. when we discovered the floor wasn't remotely level, the chimeny was on the cusp of collapse, and the roof line was bowing, we ran like the wind. the inspector couldn't get into the crawlspace below the first floor to examine the foundation, but we KNEW nothing good could be down there....

Sad though. it was a super-cute 17th century salt box (even still had the chimney in the middle!) right on main st.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 582

You probably made a wise choice. We bought a 400 year old cottage about 7 years ago and I'am still working on it. I've just re-puttied all the windows and the birds have eaten half of it. They also keep helping themselves to the thatch from the roof, which is the biggest worry as I havn't got a clue how to repair it. My wife loves old houses, probably because she doesn't have to do any of the work, just tell me what needs doing. I always thought living in the country meant spending all my free time in the local village pub.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
I always thought living in the country meant spending all my free time in the local village pub.
*sigh* me too... i imagined by now (after 5 years here) i'd be sipping iced tea on the front porch just watching the hummingbirds all day... HA! oh well... live and learn, huh?

DM
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #14

before you get carried away w/praise, that fine ol' 1864 house sat on 7a which could be sub-divided into 4 lots & still maintain 4c for the house, icehouse, & 2-story barn w/3stables,,, luckily i had some friends in the shrine who knew what & HOW to do the work & they were a great resource

did i mention there was on a well that'd run dry ? the day of the closing, a friend sat at the driveway throat on his backhoe so we could run town wtr soon's i got back from settling,,, later on, we figured out why the strawberry patch was so fruitful - the waste pit ( laid up stone ) had finally reach'd max saturation after 140yrs new o'sized conc septic tank, overflow tank, & distribution field was replac'd on sat/sun 'cause everyone knows county employees won't/don't work weekends ,,, forget what else we did w/o permit/approval/etc but nothing raised flags OR assess'd valuation ( no increase in tax's ) ALL work met or exceeded applicable codes including waterproofing the new conc fnd & installing toe drain running to daylight,,, don't ask me if i'd ever take on a job like that again, tho,,, aaahh, the blind exuberance of youth

but, all in all, nice farm in the middle of town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement