Victorian Home Sagging Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

victorian home sagging floor

I have an old Victorian home (100+ years) and have noticed a sag in the floor Near my kitchen doorway. I would like to level the floor with adjustable floor jacks. However this situation seems a little unique compared to other threads and I am looking for some suggestions.

In the basement there is a large beam that runs the depth of the house. Near the mid span is a large brick column that supports the beam. The basement floor is dirt almost a clay like consistency. The floor joists run perpendicular to the main beam.

All of the joists rest on the sill of the foundation except for the one that is below my kitchen doorway. The basement door is also located near the doorway. And when you walk down the steps (parallel to the joist) you end at the first landing. If you turn to your right to finish walking down the steps you can see why the joist doesn't go all the way to the sill. It was basically cut short to make headroom as you go down the steps.

At the end of the joist it is nailed to another joist forming a corner and both resting on a wood post which sits on a stack of bricks. It looks like the joist is an in or two lower that what it would be if it sat on the sill.

My question is where is the best place to locate my adjustable columns? I know that I should span multiple joists but I'm not sure if I should place them close to the end or 12 inches or so back. I don't want the columns to be permanent as I will pour a footer and install a permanent column.

I don't know if you can post pics here but I will if its helpful.

Thanks!,
reastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Pictures would be helpful. It is also important that you actually measure the settlement of your joist using a laser level, a builder's level, or string line, so you do not have to guess how much, if any, it has settled. The repair procedure depends on how much settlement has occurred, and the reason for the settlement. If you do not own a tool suitable for measuring settlement, you can rent a level at any U-rent place.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,074

I saw that guy Tom Silva on this old house fix that a long time ago.

I can't remember exactly what he did but I know he didn't add any new beams, he did it with the existing beams. I think he ran a string line in the room to give him a location to work from below then he loosened the floor boards somehow them took 2x4s down below and push up on the lowspots then screwed the 2x4s against the joists until someone upstairs yelled stop the string line is level with the floor. Sorry I can't remember the whole procedure but maybe you can look him up somehow on the net and he will tell you how he did it. I hope this helped.
reastwood (03-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement