Venting Shed Dormer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 123

Venting Shed Dormer

This kind of goes along with my other post. Doing a gut of a second floor, currently my roof has a ridge vent. I have a plan for the front of the house. There is eave attic storage space running the length of the house in the front and a kneewall separates it from the bedrooms. Basically in the front I will insulated and seal the unused attic eave space and where the knee wall begins I will run baffles from the kneewall up to the ridge vent. On the front of the house is soffits so I will install the soffit vents and the air will pull up like a chimney effect into the eave space and up the baffles to the ridge vent. My concern/dilemma is on the back side. I have a shed dormer and there are no soffits so not sure how to get the intake to make the ridge vent and venting work properly. How does this sound? Any Ideas?
Greg
gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Check out under-shingle venting. Its for areas where no soffit exists, it goes under the first coarse of roof shingles. Here's a link to one available product. http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm
mpepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Mike's smartvent is for 4/12 and more roof, if less than that, this is for a 3/12 rise per foot and more: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/in-vent.cfm. Is there any room for a vent above the gutter, on the fascia's top edge?
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 123

Thanks. Both of those would work. Regarding the space above the fascia, do you run a strip vent like under the soffit? What about snow and leaves do they get in? Tell me more, I may be able to do something like that too.
gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge Vent Roll

How about using a Ridge Vent Roll System? Trimline Building Products has a Ridge Vent Roll System that is very easy to install.
Ridge Vent Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement