Trying To Avoid A 10 Ft Setback - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By Colezone
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC

Old 09-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Trying to Avoid a 10 ft setback

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a garage in my backyard and enter it from an alley. The general setback from the property line is 5 ft on all sides in the area. The code states that I would have to have a 10ft setback if it has "direct alley access" I'm trying to get around this because it is a small (narrow and long) backyard and the extra 5 feet does make a difference for me.

Would the illustration below be "direct alley access"? since you'd be entering indirectly (through the backyard)

Any suggestions on how to get around this? Any advice is helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to Avoid a 10 ft setback-garage-layout.png  
Colezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,284

Re: Trying to Avoid a 10 ft setback

I think that is indirect but that will be a question for the city.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

Most likely the reasoning for this setback rule is the building will block the drivers view from oncoming traffic when exiting their property. IMO, the proposed gate will not alleviate this issue.
Colezone (09-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 322

My setbacks at our acreage is related to utilities easements even if their is currently no utilities there. I can pour concrete there but can no build on it.

In my case I bought two lots and even though it is now one lot I have this 20 foot strip down the middle of my property I cant build on because the local utilities have easements there.
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

You said you are from Riverside. Which one ? There are something like 26 different ones in the USA.

The codes can vary depending on the state/county/city. The definition of direct access may also vary by location.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
You said you are from Riverside. Which one ? There are something like 26 different ones in the USA.

The codes can vary depending on the state/county/city. The definition of direct access may also vary by location.
Sorry,

Riverside California. Zip code is 92506 it is on Rosewood Place.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colezone View Post
Sorry,

Riverside California. Zip code is 92506 it is on Rosewood Place.
I don't think you can.... I think maybe a garage within ten feet of the alley is known to cause cancer in California.

Good luck.... I've had to build in Cali...
Fix'n it, lenaitch and Nealtw like this.
Colezone (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

I’m not sure what you are quoting to us when you say a 10 ft setback is required.

The Riverside Municiple Code section 19.440.030 (Site Location, Operation and Development Standards.) sub item D says
Quote:
D. Garage and carport accessory structures with direct access from an alley shall be located a minimum of 25 feet from the opposite boundary line of the alley.
They could also be quoting the setback that is required by your zoning.

I think you should visit the building/planning office and get the exact code or zoning requirement they are quoting to you. You can also ask them about the direct alley access.

Here is a link for the 19.440 code section.
https://www.riversideca.gov/municode...e-7/19-440.pdf
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

This is correct and the alley is 15ft so hence 10 ft setback into my property. I guess I did not state that properly originally.

This code reads the same as the one that I got from the city.
Does the 25 ft from the opposite side of they alley change anything?
Thanks for the help.

I plan to go down there soon. I'd rather not have to file a variance and just build it like in the photo but we will see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I’m not sure what you are quoting to us when you say a 10 ft setback is required.

The Riverside Municiple Code section 19.440.030 (Site Location, Operation and Development Standards.) sub item D says

They could also be quoting the setback that is required by your zoning.

I think you should visit the building/planning office and get the exact code or zoning requirement they are quoting to you. You can also ask them about the direct alley access.

Here is a link for the 19.440 code section.
https://www.riversideca.gov/municode...e-7/19-440.pdf
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

There appears to be a lot of grandfathered structures on the alleys to either side of Rosewood Pl. (they don’t appear to meet the current set back code and most likely predate it)

Sometimes when you bring that up, a city will approve a variance.
Other cities will just say the line has been drawn and refuse to approve the variance.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
Likes to learn

Was about to post some info that I got from researching the Riverside, California Municipal Code (a nice diversion and excuse for me to not get back to digging my retaining wall trench), but see that Oso beat me to it (including the minimum 25 foot info). So, below is my edited info.

The City of Riverside, California has quite an impressive and thorough website.
------------
The "Building & Safety" page on the website has lots of info and names/phone numbers of people to call for specific issues. There are employees listed as "Plans Examiner", along with their phone numbers, so maybe they could take a look at your drawing and/or answer your question about whether you can have that access off to the side and not have to build farther back on the property. https://riversideca.gov/building/contact.asp

If you want a direct answer to your specific question, it might be a good idea to speak with someone in that department.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 240

"from the opposite boundary line of the alley."

Not sure it will/would help you any.... but you might look at on the plats the boundry line of the alley. Often, the easement or boundry line could be significantly beyond what you might consider the paved alley.
Msradell likes this.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 38

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 14

I know you are trying to avoid the 10’ setback to save on space. It appears you are still using up the same amount of yard by putting a half moon driveway in. And it appears as though you will now need a gate with this design.

I was thinking (scary I know) that if you kept the garage 10’ back then the driveway would be straightaway and you would not need a gate. Instead of a gate across the end of the driveway you turn the fence 90 degrees at the driveway and go to the corner of the garage with a small gate instead of a large one.

It seems like both ways you are using up about the same square footage. I am guessing you do not want the garage so close to the house. To me it would seem to look best 10’ back and a straight driveway...but then again, you really were not looking for advice on aesthetics : )

I myself built an offset driveway that went into my garage (our last house) from the main road, it was offset, sort of like a snake, because of a telephone pole I had to go around and after I was done I wish I turned the garage doors toward the side road and put the driveway that way(I was on a corner lot). It still came out great, but it could’ve been better.

Good luck! Please post some pictures, it will be nice to follow along with your progress, if you want to.
romeojk27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement