Trusses For Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

trusses For Addition

I'm adding on to my house. I have a 24' x 30' slab poured. I want to span 24' with trusses. What should I use to build the trusses? 2x4 or 2x6 or something bigger? Also, the bottom of the trusses (the joists), should I spilt the 24' into 3rds using 8' lumber or do it in 2 pieces using a 16 footer with a 8 footer?
1967jsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967jsr View Post
What should I use to build the trusses?
I would suggest to use a qualified truss manufacturing company - who will do the proper engineering and construction and deliver them onsite ready for you to install. You will then have a properly built roof structure plus pass building inspection without issue.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Ditto sheetz, When I did my addition it only cost me about $120.00 a truss 6/12 pitch 28' long with overhang, raised heel. Delivered to the house. It's not worth the hassel of building them, plus you have to make some kind of jig to make sure they are all perfectly the same. And also you might want to look at some of the designs they have available as far as bonus rooms built into the truss for attic storage or a scissor truss to give a cathedral look inside.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The engineering on the home-made trusses that will inevitably be required by any heads-up building inspector will cost a lot. Enough to offset the cost of having a truss company fabricate (and engineer) them for you. It really is very inexpensive, and is a much much much better idea than trying to do it yourself without an understanding of the ways trusses manage the imposed loads.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

It was touched on above, but to make it a little more clear, a truss manufacturer will provide you with all the documentation you need about wind/snow loading, bracing and fastening requirements to satisfy your building inspector.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement