Trex Universal Hidden Fastener Screws - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 726

Trex universal hidden fastener screws

So I decked my deck with trex groved boards and their universal hidden fasteners. The plastic ones where you have a 2" screw that screws in vertically (not at an angle like clips).

It seems like some of these screws don't want to grip right almost like they are too short and pulling back some (maybe 1/8", just enough to put some movement in the decking if pushed).

Are there longer screws I could use to replace the ones that do this? most screws are tight, I've came across maybe 10 locations out of 900 that are doing this even after re-tightening.
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,292

Re: Trex universal hidden fastener screws

Unless the underlying joists were weathered, the Trex clip screws hold pretty securely. You can get longer screws, but watch out for the head to make sure it isn't too large to go down in the crack. Make sure your screws are ACQ approved. 10 out of 900 is almost negligible, but it's your deck, so longer screws may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

Maybe regular stainless screws with finish head? I'd predrill first since you don't want any to bind. If some screws are not holding, it's probably a stripped hole from the install.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Maybe regular stainless screws with finish head? I'd predrill first since you don't want any to bind. If some screws are not holding, it's probably a stripped hole from the install.
yeah that is probably it, I did have a couple spin out while I got ahold of just how much torque to tighten these down to
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement