Top Plate Leveling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

top plate leveling

While opening a 78" span and adding a laminate beam I set up a laser level across the top plate and it had a sloping drop up to 1.5".
This is one of 2 horizontal load bearing walls. It is located on the first floor with a second floor and attic above it.
The beam in the basement was fairly level, and I did not want to mess with this.
I used 3 6-ton hydrolic jacks and slowly raised the top plates until level, and added new studs along this load bearing wall. I cut the old studs out as I was raising because the nails in the sole plate kept pulling the sole plate up as it rose.
This wall is now nice and level.

Now, it seems the other load bearing wall on the other side of the house is off. Is this necessary to raise, or can I leave it as is?
Thanks.
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

If the drop is measured perpendicular to the joists at the center bearing wall, you would have to raise the whole end of the house to get level. Usually, this is not feasible, just straight-line the joists from point to point- at the center wall on opposite ends of the house. Otherwise, the last point leveled near the end low wall in the center bearing line will be a big difference over a small span.
Be safe, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 2,010

Chasing level on old houses is opening a can of worms. I've given up on level in my house and going with true.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I like the term " chasing level", I am going to stop where I am.
Thanks.
BTW, nothing worse than running the laser level. It sure does create a lot of future work. It shows everything to be off. (80 year old house)
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement