Top Plate Just Attached To Drywall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

top plate just attached to drywall

I was helping my brother run some wires in his attic and noticed the top plate of a wall was just secured to the drywall. The previous owner probably did the work. I tried pushing on the wall and it seemed sturdy. I'm guessing it was fastened at the ends to the concrete block exterior walls and the sole plate to the concrete slab. The wall spans 15 to 20 feet with a door.

Should we go through the expense and trouble of adding blocking? I could just add blocking between the trusses and shoot nails from the attic down through the blocking and top plate. What is the requirement for non-load bearing walls that run parallel to trusses? I remember seeing the top plates at my house (visible from attic), but I didn't look to see how they were fastened.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Are you saying that the wall was framed after the ceiling drywall was applied? If that's the case, how is it fastened to the drywall? I'd put in at least a couple pieces of blocking to prevent a bodycheck from cracking the drywall corner. Don't pop any drywall screws when you're up there or your bro will be choked and you will have wished you didn't help him out. Use screws if you put in the blocking as any nailing action will likely pop some screws.
the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #3

The wall was built after the ceiling drywall was installed. They just used wood screws through the top plate. I can see the screw tips coming out of the drywall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Did they also, perhaps, run some adhesive on top of the upper plates?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

slap in a 2x4 between the joists adjacent to them and screw down through them. sounds very easy to do.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Did they also, perhaps, run some adhesive on top of the upper plates?
I'm not sure. I would have to cut into the drywall to check. Can an adhesive strip just be used to fasten the wall? I noticed some members advise that adhesive can be used for the sill plate. I thought anchors would need to be used for the sill plate and blocking for the top plates. I guess it is just a partition wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement