DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tips needed on concreting my kids swing set...

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Yonderboy 
#1 ·
Hi

im having a bit of a nightmare assembling my kids wooden swing set (im not much of a DIYer at all :( )

Our garden slopes in both directions making this an even trickier task, but i cant figure out how to accurately plot where I need to concrete in the metal pins that i need to attach to the bottom of the wooden poles :-/

Ive currently reached a point where ive dug 6 holes so that the swing set is level on the garden (one side being deeper than the other). ive then dug down an extra 30cm on each hole as this is the amount of concrete stated in the instructions.

Would anybody have any experience in this or suggestions? My fear is that ill concrete in the metal securing pins and then find out they dont line up correctly with the wooden posts

many thanks for any help!

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
the instructions say the posts are meant to be sat on top of the dry concrete and then have the pins bolted to the posts...
Do you know how to use a string line w/ a level? That might help. Sorry, but I can't read those instructions. It's not your fault but if vBulletin refuses to fix the bug that rotates the images, I'm not twisting my neck, for them. They've known about it for years.

#7 ·
Either the Pythagorean Theorem, better known in construction as the '3-4-5 method': 3' along a long side and 4' along an adjacent short side - the diagonal better the two measuring 5' means a 90* corner. It works with other numbers and units but those are usually the handiest for construction.

OR:

measure the diagonal lines between the pairs of corners. When they are equal, the box will be square.

It's probably a little late since you've already dug the holes but I recall installing our daughter's swing set (way too many years ago) I used ground anchors.

#9 ·
Perhaps you could use this instead -> LINK <-

Using a string level would be useful for horizontal level. You would use that to align the concrete tubes -> LINK <-

Looks like what you need to do is get 4 corner "square". First, measure all four sides to get the right measurements (2 sides the same and other two sides the same, I presume). Then measure opposite corners diagonal. Those diagonal should come out same measurements to make it "square" (along with keeping the sides same measurement). Does that answer your question?

Example in picture below, the A to C and the D to B should be the same measurement. You would adjust accordingly, you can use 2x4 or post/strings to move back and forth. I have done it myself, but it works best if you had another person to hold the tape measure (and move the designation).

Once it's "square", then cut the tubes to 30cm length (from what I understand the instructions, I could be wrong). Put in the tubes, fill the outside with dirt (to hold it snug). Then fill in the concrete. Let the concrete settle a little, then slide in the metal post in the middle (again, see instructions on how deep, etc). That should be it. The swing post would flex a little to align with the correct post measurements.

If this is hard, invite a friend, cook a grill, call it a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.