Tiny Gap In My Front Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiny gap in my front door

I have a tiny gap at the bottom of my front door through which I can see daylight. I'm worried about bugs getting in, as well as heat from outside getting in.

Here's the worst picture ever of it, but you can see the daylight coming in - http://i.imgur.com/ifIoNZ4.jpg

This foam thingy was previously wedged in there, but the adhesive has come off and I can't get it back in there properly - http://i.imgur.com/vfFLm7G.jpg

So two questions -

1) I suck at this sort of thing, and I cannot remember which "direction" the foam thingy was wedged in the door to make a proper seal. I've tried various ways, but the door opening/closing always rubs against it and eventually dislodges it. Any advice on sticking it back in there?

2) Is there a better way to close this gap?

Thanks in advance!
larry613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

First pictures not coming up for me.
The second one is just to keep water away from the seam where the threshold meets the jamb.
Most common causes of air leaks is the thresholds not level, loose or stripped hinge screws, no support on the outside under the sill, or the doors not hung square and plumb.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First pictures not coming up for me.
The second one is just to keep water away from the seam where the threshold meets the jamb.
Most common causes of air leaks is the thresholds not level, loose or stripped hinge screws, no support on the outside under the sill, or the doors not hung square and plumb.
It is there it is the inverse of an ant in a snow storm.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry - I know that first picture is crap.

I've run it through photoshop and lightened it up a bit. The gap is in the bottom right of the door.

http://i.imgur.com/PBaDPI0.jpg
larry613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 398

The rubber door seal looks too short - buy a new section from your hardware store, cut it to size and place back in.

The old one should pull right out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny gap in my front door-image-2108020841.jpg   Tiny gap in my front door-image-3673247654.jpg  
hand drive (05-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement