Thoughts On How To Bypass Rain Runoff - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 1 Post By sjgusmc21
  • 1 Post By sjgusmc21
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff

Hope all are doing well. As my first post, I hope I can explain my issue well enough so it is understood and clear.

I am building a patio roof over my slab foundation (purchased the house last June....patio slabs already there). In the picture, I have highlighted my ledgers in red. That is hardie plank, btw and yes, it will be cut away. I am trying to come up with a way to have the rain water bypass the eve/overhang, the area circled in yellow. I am thinking on building something like a chimney cricket to place between the wall and the eve/overhang. Any suggestions would be great. The second pic is not 100% correct, but good enough to give a idea of what I am planning. Thanks again for any help/suggestions. Had a hard time with shrinking the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Right side Frame Filled In small AAA.bmp (82.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: bmp Side view of Frame Filled In AAA.bmp (98.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: bmp Problem with overhand drainage AAA.bmp (95.7 KB, 117 views)
sjgusmc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Re: Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff

New poster so pictures do not work.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

Thanks for let me know. That certainly hinders my explanation. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgusmc21 View Post
Thanks for let me know. That certainly hinders my explanation. Oh well.
Welcome to the forum sjgusmc21, Here's your pictures.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 260

Even with a cricket leaves and dust will collect there, usually driven by wind. If you forget, moisture will stay and min keep the nook dirty and moldy. If you can, I would make it low roof and keep min 6" space between the new and old roof lines. Splash back will get under the siding. I would remove the siding, use ice shield to flash the underlayment to the roof line then reside, using step flashing or such as well.

BTW, thanks moderator for the photos. For security reasons, I wouldn't have followed the link where it doesn't work the first time.
Mike Milam likes this.

Last edited by carpdad; 05-27-2017 at 11:37 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,520

I would either lower the roof so it doesn't meet up with the eve and you have space under the eve for the new roof water to run. The siding can flashed. Or raise it up so it meets up with the existing roof.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

Thank you very much for all of your advice and for posting pics. I have been a member of other forums for so long, I forgot about the 'waiting' period and all. Thank you.

Yes, it would be nice to build the patio roof how it SHOULD have been, when the original owners had the house built. However, I am doing this myself, and I just don't have the ability to get up that high. So, the next best thing is to build it to the height that I am displaying it at.

I do not wish to build it lower, as I want to place a ceiling fan in it, and in December (it is San Antonio TX after all, so the term 'winter' here is for the most part laughable) I am going to enclose the inner portion and make it a sun room.

I have seen others around here with the same style and have spoken with them. Most have not had any problems, and when looking at them I have seen no major issues (except for one, and it was very poorly done).

So I am proceeding with the current plan, realizing that there will be mods along the way. The HOA has approved my plan, so as long as I don't radically change it, I am good. And yes, I know, HOA's, etc. No need to go on that rant.

I really appreciate every ones input. I know this is the 'rough' spot of my plan, but with some ingenuity, questions and answers, I will get thru it with good results. Just takes lots of time to come up with a plan.

I only mentioned a cricket, as I have been raping google for a few months and actually found someone that had a similar issue as mine.

Completely understand about the flashing. Flashing, flashing, and then flash some more.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend and thanks again for the suggestions. Semper Fi!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

I just finished roofing my patio cover. I will say I have a WHOLE new level of respect for roofers. Certainly one of the hardest things I have done. Of course, it is July here in San Antonio.....so with temps and humidity right next to hell's level, no surprise. I am happy with the way it turned out, and no leaks. Just have to paint the flashing and repaint the cricket.

Last night I was out using the belt sander to smooth out the wood and sand away the filled nail and screw holes. Tonight, touch up sanding, puttying, then priming on Thursday, painting on Friday. Then on to electrical.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20170709_203049.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20170709_203125.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20170709_203034.jpg  
jlhaslip likes this.

Last edited by sjgusmc21; 07-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,590

That looks nice and Y'all can enjoy that area now that was impossible previously. Sure beats he11 outta a pergola.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 07-12-2017 at 12:57 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

Thank you Sir. Yes, Sunday night we let the kids run around and play in the water, while we cooked on the grill and relaxed. First time since we have lived there. Tried once before, but was baked by the sun.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,590

Maybe there is a stock tank pool in the kids future. The one pictured is not my tank.

After 2 K-Mart wading pools failed twice in a week I solved the problem with a galvanized 9 ft dia x 2ft. deep tank from the Farmer's CO-OP for $206.00 in 1980 and sold it in 2015 for $125.00.

Two of our 3 kids were small enough to dive in it on an acute angle off of a chair and swim full circle under water. Definitely not the parents idea, but kids will be kids. It got too large for the old man to handle in the least bit of wind. The grand kids enjoyed it too for several of those years.
Attached Images

Mike Milam likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #12

Very nice! Fortunately, we have a very nice and clean community pool in our housing community, which is only a few minutes walk from our house. We had a pool at our last house for the girls....but some birds either pecked holes in it with their beaks or their claws, either way I could never patch all of the holes, so we got rid of it. Was nice while it lasted.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Except for removal of the stump, the patio is done until spring. 6 months it took me....but it was worth it. We are really enjoying it...finally. Lots of mistakes, but it is SAFE and doesn't leak. Plus, I didn't bring down the property values either.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122316.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122259.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122234.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122533.jpg   Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122336.jpg  

Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-20171014_122436.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to sjgusmc21 For This Useful Post:
carpdad (10-25-2017)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #14

I finished screening in the patio this past October. Raised the patio floor to level it, took 31 bags of concrete, and 4 bags of self leveler. Tile it, built kneel walls, so on and so on. At lest this spring, we can sit out in it and not loose a pint of blood! The mosquitoe's here are quite horrible. This spring I will wrap the post's, add railings and some lattice. Take care.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on how to bypass rain runoff-patio.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement