Thinking About A BIG Project - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thinking about a BIG project

I am considering what I call a HUGE project. I would like to add on a room to my house. The 'end' of my house is 28' wide and I would like to add a 26' X 30' room at the end. I would use 26' along the end of the exisitng house so I could recess the roof and the exterior front wall so it won't make the house "so" added on to.

My initial question is how to build the flooring system. Currently the end of ths house where I would add the room has a walk in basement. The new room would be above grade and built on metal poles so cars could be parked underneath. It would be attached to the cider block foundation of the house.

My first question is, what should I uses to support the floor where the joist headers will be. I was considering glulam beams but I don't know how expensive they are. I thought I would use adjutable basement metal poles like you frequently see in homes today.

Tell me what you think.
Thanks,
MIke
Mike_Lewellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

The first thing I would do is contact the local building department and find out their requirements. I'm sure things have changed since the original building was designed and built. You might also have setback requirements that could come into play.
Some localities have little or no rules or oversight, others are more demanding.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks

Thanks, I will do that
Mike_Lewellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

You probably can't use the kind of poles that I get the impression you're thinking of using. They won't resist racking forces and the addition would topple over in the wind, or even just because it wanted to.

If you use any kind of poles you have to set them in the ground and/or concrete. Read up on builindg pole structures. I found books at the library that told me all about how big the poles needed to be and so forth. Never built one, but it sure is enticing.

A "real" lumber yard will have a guy who can size the headers.

This book tells you what you can hold up with laminated beams of various sizes.
http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf

FWIW, I got two 22 foot long pieces 1.75 by 14 for $300 (delivered).
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

This is a project for someone with carpentry experience and you will find you need a real design to submit to the inspection dept. Have you looked on line to see if you can find plans for an addition similar to what you are looking for, may save you some design costs. Of course you will need to be able to interpret them. Happy building it is very gratifying
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
floor system