Are These Windows Installed Correct? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

are these windows installed correct?

W e had 9 windows and 3 doors replaced with new construction windows /doors Milgard (paid $ 7400). The job was done by a big company specialized in windows. We wanted to remodel our house and put stucco on it, so we had the windows replaced first. Now, all the stucco contractors that are coming over are telling us that the windows are not properly installed (are inside not at the wall level), and for sure will leak. Also, the windows doesnít have the proper insulation, flashing paper is only at the bottom and also have the paper cut it at corners. In order to fix this they recommend to take them all off and reinstall it properly and it will cost us aprox $ 3,000. After talking to more than 20 contractors they said that they never saw such a sloppy job. Photos are attached. Please help me with advice.
Attached Thumbnails
are these windows installed correct?-window-problem.jpg   are these windows installed correct?-window-problem2.jpg   are these windows installed correct?-window-problem4.jpg   are these windows installed correct?-window-problem-3.jpg  
michelleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

This company should have these installers thrown into a wood chpper. I count 7 screws holding the windows in.
This is an incompetant window installation.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 846

Definitely not installed to Milgard specifications.

At this point this may be a good thing for you. I’m going to assume you pulled the trim off for the picture.

In Oregon you could file a complaint with the Contractors Board and the window company would have to fix this or pay and maybe fined.

What State are you in?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-20-2010 at 05:22 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Definitely not installed to Milgard specifications.

At this point this may be a good thing for you. Iím going to assume you pulled the trim off for the picture.

In Oregon you could file a complaint with the Contractors Board and the window company would have to fix this or pay and maybe fined.

What State are you in?
they took the trim off before installed the windows and left it this way in order for us to put stucco . But no stucco company want it to garantee the job with this windows... We live in California.
michelleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
they took the trim off before installed the windows and left it this way in order for us to put stucco . But no stucco company want it to garantee the job with this windows... We live in California.
This is an installation you would see done by a homeowner who listened to advice from a big box store.
Contact Milgard and send them pictures. I'm sure they would be interested in how their products are being handled.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Wow! That's a terrible installation job. They didn't even follow instructions to allow for stucco.

I think that as a homeowner you could have done a better job even if you had no experience installing windows before.

I hope you can at least get some money back. Don't let those hacks back on your property.

I like how they wiped the excess caulk that they got on their finger right onto the window casing.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-20-2010 at 01:21 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

I'm impressed they installed them with the weep holes on the bottom--- correctly. The sheet metal ?? screws are not even in the pre-punched holes on the fin.... and a 3/4" air space gap at the head? 3 minute install. Correction, 2 minute.

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 846

Look at this Michell.
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/FilingAComplaint/

And this.
http://pro.milgard.com/_doc/products...ma-2400-02.pdf

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-20-2010 at 04:43 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement