Termite Eatten Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By william42
  • 1 Post By Sirus7264

Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Termite eatten joists

So i found out last night that termites had eatten 2 very large joits one being approximately 4x12 3ft longand one being 4x4 6 ft long. the 4x12 is alot harder to deal with than the 4x4 they are both near my bathroom on the 2nd floor.(I'll take the floor out of there tonight to see exactly where they are) The 4x12 is on the outter wall and connected between 2 load bearing timbers. I do not know for sure if the rafter are connected to the joist or not. My assumption is the joist currently has very little to no holding strength on both as the termites have eatten at least 1 foot into each of the timbers.(I could push my finger all the way through with no pressure) Any suggestions on where i should go from here? I have already contacted a contractor to look it over and give me an estimate but if i can do it myself somehow id rather do that as contractors out here in japan are very expensive and i'm already at my budget limit if i go to far over my budget it means ill have to cut things from the project or downgrade on quality of other parts.
Sirus7264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,418

Re: Termite eatten joists

With your very first post pictures don't show up here so you will have to try them again. Building design and construction might be far different that we are used to but that won't stop us from looking at it. The key will be is to figure all the loads that can be effected by a repair.
Sirus7264 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #3

I think the reason why it wont let me post pictures is because my account is still new i'll have to figure some way to get them on here so you guys can look i have more photos to share and i have a 15 second video of me putting my finger in the wood and it falling apart(a bit afaid to do that again dont want to finish it off and have something collapse on me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #4

These are the links to the photos
https://imgur.com/43bP9Pc
https://imgur.com/fX9EiKD
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,418

If I came across that here, my first comment would be to get an engineer and then I would want to meet with him to discuss best ways to support things to do the job.
Sirus7264 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

That's an option to and i'm hoping the contractor i have has a structual engineer that he can go back to and discuss this with and get me a quote. I'm afaid hes going to tell me something like we have to take the roof off in that area and replace the entire assembly. That could cost upwards to about 10,000 usd here which if i have to then i'll pay it. This is not something you want to leave and ignore. I'm hoping i can also get suggestions here also on some repair ideas to see if i toss any of those his way if he might say oh yeah thats a great idea(In japanese woohoo language barriers. Luckily i have a japanese friend who can speak english) I know it sounds weird but i'm glad this is all i found so far when i first found out i had termites i freaked out but so far their damages have been pretty small and stuff i was going to replace/upgrade anyhow. It still surprises me though they ate through cedar in several areas usually they try to avoid this stuff. I guess this shows that even if you build your whole house with cedar they will still attack. After i get the rest of my 1st floor open my pest control contractor is comming in and going to kill all the termites.(gonna cost 1,600 though) and i'll also be spraying all my studs with Bora care to ensure this doesnt happen again for at least a very long time.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 70

Sweet Jesus look at the size of that spider! (In the second photo) Looks like it's been eating a lot of Termites.
Nealtw and Sirus7264 like this.
william42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #8

Yeah those spiders are stupid big and fast..... I think i have 4 of them atm running around various places in the house. google huntsman spiders.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
termites