Temp. Unload Exterior Supporting Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Temp. unload exterior supporting wall

I want to remove an existing first-floor window and replace with longer one. The wall runs parallel to the floor joists above. How does one support the floor rimjoist (and roof-supporting wall above) while adding a longer header to the wall below?
mdeanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

You can attach a 2x10 or 2x12 to the studs just below the ceiling over the window opening. Make this extend beyond the rough opening of the window that you are wanting to install. Once you have the 2x12 anchored to the studs it will create a ledger that will be a temproary header until you are able to install the new header. You will want to install braces coming down to transfer the weight to the floor. this should hold the weight until you are able to install the new header. Good luck
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Remember that the floor joists below are probably run the same direction. So if you add supports to hold anything up, be sure to lay a 3' 4x4 down under each, across the joists first or the load could punch through the ply decking. Unless on a slab.....

If header height interferes with Rob's ledger, I would cut the ceiling drywall back to the first joist above, next to. Install temp braces every 2' under the sub-floor alongside the rim joist, down at an angle onto the 4x4's , sprung in tight, the new headers length. Add a nailer at the joist after adding header and two trimmers each side. If any point loads above the new opening (window trimmers, posts, etc.), I would use a 4x4 or 4x6 block between stud bays on the bottom plate to distribute the load on that or both sides. Unless you can get at the floor from below to add a point load block vertically to the mud-sill.
This may help you: http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement