Tar Paper/wire Mesh/cement Over Subfloor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

tar paper/wire mesh/cement over subfloor

I ran into this when we pulled up the old tile and cabinets in our 1967 era home. The bathroom is on pier and beam, but back in the day, there wasn't cement board around so they poured about two inches of concrete between the floor joists on top of the subfloor then laid the tile.

After the tile was pulled up it looked like a minefield, so I had someone come in and repour the concrete and smooth it out. Now, however, one of the several contractors that has given me bids tells me that I need to tear it all up (since it turned out to be uneven anyway,) because the concrete and tile could be dangerously heavy unless the subfloor consists of boards that are some exact number of inches wide.

Please help. I have been living in dust for months now, and have had the tile laid but it was done incorrectly so I am in the market for a real contractor. So far I have had 4 estimates and only this one guy tells me that this is dangerous.

Julia
julia951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I don't know why it would be dangerous if you mimiced the 1967 scenario. Older homes, ones built in the '30s and '40's had 6"= og regular concrete poured in the bathroom. Most of the time with no ill effects. The only issues that arose would be under sized joists and/or overly long spans.
As for the concrete being uneven, it's relative to how deep a trowel depth you use. You can also use a self leveling mix to correct serious unevenness.
With the tile laid, I would remove the entire mess down to the subfloor. I would screw the subfloor down to the joists. I would add another layer of 5/8 or 3/4" ply and glue and screw it down. I would then thinset cement board and screw it to the ply. Tape the seams and start tiling.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom remodeling , cement floor , old cement floor