Tar Paper Torn On Side Of House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Question

Tar paper torn on side of house

So in the process of remodeling my bathroom I opened the inside walls and found a nail and a wood dowel had came thru and tore the tar paper from the outside. There is no evidence of holes outside or any leakage inside the wall. There is a gutter downspout that is suspect but the clamp is not accessible to see for sure. I call the gutter guy and he said it is fine to nail thru the stucco into the tar paper. ?? I cut the nail end off and the wooden dowel. Enough of the back round. I need to seal this barrier. I t seems that breaking the outside stucco to repair the paper seems extreme. I am planning to try and slip some paper on the outside wall side against the stucco and use some tar type adhesive to glue it there. Then I thought maybe some of that heavy tar type tape over that. I read about the polyurethane spray insulation making a moisture seal, but can not get any clarity on that. Any ideas or methods to perform these task are very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tar paper torn on side of house-gutter.jpg  
Jwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

A larger picture from further back may help.I have never hear of anyone using dowels for construction.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-10-2015), Jwhitman (06-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,118

It's not a big deal, just put some house wrap tape over the hole.
Jwhitman (06-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,796

You have no plywood sheathing.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron45 For This Useful Post:
Jwhitman (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

No plywood sheathing just stucco outside tar paper and inside wall shown.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Just add some tar paper there, cut a horizontal slit in existing paper at the hole, slip paper in/down on other side, up on inside to drain any liquid water. NO glue to stucco as the paper should be two layers; one for bond break (next to stucco) and other- WRB- next to studs. http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ong-from-start

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #7

I really wish I fully understand how making a bigger hole makes a better seal. Do you have any pictures so I can understand how to do it. I only have access to the inside of the house. I really want to do it right I just don't understand how to slip the repair piece in.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,796

Just make slits into the paper so it will rest around the dowel and tape it.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement