DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Suggestions for removing Top of filled-in Pool liner

649 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Milam 
#1 ·
We have a house that had an old in ground steel-lined pool that was filled in with dirt a long time ago. I dont know how it was done exactly, all I know is that I am left with the exposed top of the steel liner in a large rectangle in the backyard. So I am looking for suggestions as to how to remove it. I am thinking about digging a trench around the steel wall about 10 inches deep to get at the steel and either cut it out with a larger angle grinder or getting an oxy-acetylene torch and cutting it out. Both methods have pros and cons so I am wondering what you would do? I also thought about getting a mini-excavator and digging around it and bending it down into itself. See the pics to see what im talking about. The steel is still healthy and not rotted, so it is going to take some work. If I use a large angle grinder Im afraid of how long it will take, the neighbors might not appreciate the noise either.. There's probably 80' of perimeter to cut.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
For anyone that finds this thread in the future: I ended up trenching around the steel liner and cutting it out with a 7 inch angle grinder. It was slow but worked well. I believe that the material was galvanized steel so if you're going to spend a lot of time grinding at this be sure to have a mask or a fan blowing away the toxic fumes.

#2 ·
That don't look safe for kids or dogs to play around, for that matter after we get OLD we fall too much, so it looks hazardous.

You need to do a little investigating, to see how it is built.

Dig a small area out, just to see how deep it is, and if you have access to both the inner and outer side of the vertical wall.

A cutting torch would be my choice, but I have training in it's operation, as well as training in an excavator, so it would be easy for me to use those.

How is your hand / eye coordination, on an excavator?

Use whatever you are best suited for, do not attempt to learn a new skill, on something that takes skill to not mess up on.

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah its not safe, my mower blades hate the steel tabs sticking up. lol.

On the lengths I really need to cut out, I only have access from one side. I dug down about 4 ft and it still continues past that. Rental of an excavator will probably break the budget also..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.