Suggestions For Building Large Pantry Door? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By homeby5
  • 1 Post By KPDMinc

Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 290

Suggestions for building Large Pantry door?

Hey guys.
I'm tasked with building a built in kitchen pantry that is supposed to look like an extension of the cabinets. The cabinets have simple shaker style flat panel doors with face frames and soft close hinges. The pantry is going to be about 5 foot wide. It's going to match the top existing kitchen cabinets so it will be about 80" tall. She wants a simple pantry without any pull out shelves or organizers. She just wants simple shelves without any partition inside. She thinks it allows for more space. I'm looking for suggestions on how to hang/build the doors?

I was going to go with 4 doors across the front because of the width of the pantry and probably split the height in two with decorative panels to match the cabinets. Maybe the top 4 doors being a different height than the bottom 4 doors? But this layout just doesn't seem right to me with having to swing open so many doors to search for food and such.

How would you guys hang the doors? What about sliding or bifolds? Do they make some sort of system that would attach to a normal 3/4 inch poplar face frame or should I build a "header" and build out the doors to line up with the bottom end cabinet that it is next to.

Anyway....I hope I'm explaining myself right.
Thanks

Last edited by homeby5; 12-28-2016 at 08:37 AM.
homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Suggestions for building Large Pantry door?

When I was installing Kitchens for a living, Pantry doors would be built with three doors stacked one on top of another so the top and bottom doors were the same height as the cabinet doors, with the middle door making up the difference.
About an 8th inch gap between the doors.
Screw a small clip on the backside joining neighbouring doors so the three doors act as one.
The clips can be a piece of quarter inch ply or a plastic thing, doesn't matter what it is as long as it is strong enough and it does not strike a shelf inside.
Put handles on each door to enhance the look of the pantry with respect to the style of the cabinets, but the three doors act as a single door.

Hope that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Thanks. So if I understand I would have nine panels all together (3 rows of 3). Three vertical panels would act as a single door. Forgive me but I'm a little confused about the "clip" making the three doors act as one? I'm not sure of the opening orientation that you have in mind? Sorry for being a pain in the butt....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

It could be three sets of doors or 4. Either way, the three vertical doors would act as one, yes.
The clip is screwed to the back of one door and also the back of the one above or below it so there are two clips joining three doors. Screw the top one to the middle one and the middle one to the bottom one.
Not a pain in the butt. There are no stupid questions, but be careful of the answers... LOL
Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,828

These doors are in our bedroom but this may give you an idea of how to make 4 tall doors bifold by hinging a door on another door like the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for building Large Pantry door?-bifold-doors.jpg  

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
It could be three sets of doors or 4. Either way, the three vertical doors would act as one, yes.
The clip is screwed to the back of one door and also the back of the one above or below it so there are two clips joining three doors. Screw the top one to the middle one and the middle one to the bottom one.
Not a pain in the butt. There are no stupid questions, but be careful of the answers... LOL
What type of hinges are you referring to for the doors? Bifolds like Big Jims Pic? If not, I would need a vertical frame or partition in the middle to attach the inside doors huh? That's where I am getting hung up on. I guess they are like a slab door (plywood?)with 3 false panels to match the kitchen?

Thanks for the pic Big Jim.

Last edited by homeby5; 12-28-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

Yes, you would need a middle divider. Not bifold like the picture.
30 inch wide cabinet doors are too wide. Biggest I have ever seen were 24 inch. They can be made larger, but they get too heavy for the hinges. The wide ones are also awkward since they need more room to swing open.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeby5 View Post
Hey guys.
I'm tasked with building a built in kitchen pantry that is supposed to look like an extension of the cabinets. The cabinets have simple shaker style flat panel doors with face frames and soft close hinges. The pantry is going to be about 5 foot wide. It's going to match the top existing kitchen cabinets so it will be about 80" tall. She wants a simple pantry without any pull out shelves or organizers. She just wants simple shelves without any partition inside. She thinks it allows for more space. I'm looking for suggestions on how to hang/build the doors?

I was going to go with 4 doors across the front because of the width of the pantry and probably split the height in two with decorative panels to match the cabinets. Maybe the top 4 doors being a different height than the bottom 4 doors? But this layout just doesn't seem right to me with having to swing open so many doors to search for food and such.

How would you guys hang the doors? What about sliding or bifolds? Do they make some sort of system that would attach to a normal 3/4 inch poplar face frame or should I build a "header" and build out the doors to line up with the bottom end cabinet that it is next to.

Anyway....I hope I'm explaining myself right.
Thanks
I had a cabinetmaker do exactly this in my kitchen 2 years ago. He created the doors from two refrigerator panels (the side panels usually installed to create a "cubby hole" for the refrigerator), and 6 cabinet doors. Three of these doors for each panel. The bottom doors were the same height doors as on my base cabinets, the top doors were the same height as my wall cabinets, and the middle door was whatever size door fit between. In my case i was converting what used to be a closet into a pantry. The face of the closet (where the casing used to be) was also covered with rips from a refrigerator panel. He installed 5 Blum soft close hinges on each door. He also installed 1/4 round on the bottom of these doors to match the rest of the kitchen. The job turned out perfectly! No one would ever know that those doors were not a factory made cabinet. The doors operate like french doors in that the left door opens to the left and the right door opens to the right. If you send me an email at [email protected] i would be happy to send you pictures.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
I had a cabinetmaker do exactly this in my kitchen 2 years ago. He created the doors from two refrigerator panels (the side panels usually installed to create a "cubby hole" for the refrigerator), and 6 cabinet doors. Three of these doors for each panel. The bottom doors were the same height doors as on my base cabinets, the top doors were the same height as my wall cabinets, and the middle door was whatever size door fit between. In my case i was converting what used to be a closet into a pantry. The face of the closet (where the casing used to be) was also covered with rips from a refrigerator panel. He installed 5 Blum soft close hinges on each door. He also installed 1/4 round on the bottom of these doors to match the rest of the kitchen. The job turned out perfectly! No one would ever know that those doors were not a factory made cabinet. The doors operate like french doors in that the left door opens to the left and the right door opens to the right. If you send me an email at [email protected] i would be happy to send you pictures.

Thanks to all! Yes Jeff.....I will send you an email.
jeffmattero76 likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeby5 View Post
Thanks to all! Yes Jeff.....I will send you an email.
This evening when i fet home from work.

jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Thanks. I am thinking about using 3 84" x 20" slabs made out of plywood or MDF (I've heard it's less prone to warpage). The just build my 3 false door fronts that match my kitchen and install them on front of the slab. I would have two doors open opposite each other (to give me a 40" access space without stile) and the other door sharing the same stile to bolt the hinges on door. I would of course open against each other. What do you guys think about warpage over time with this? Too heavy.....or simply to big to avoid warpage.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 312

if you have the wall space, Barn Doors on rollers are an up and coming look. did it in our master bath. turned out pretty good
BigJim likes this.
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement