Stucco Ceiling In New House??!! Please Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stucco ceiling in new house??!! Please help

Hey everyone, I am brand new to this forum.
We are just in the middle of purchasing our new home. Its a 2400sf. 2 storey. So basically in the middle of negotiating our offer we asked that none of our ceiling be stucco. The builder said its possible but it would cost us roughly $3500-4000 as they would have to do more putty and sanding for a better finish .
My question is if I told them to leave the stucco off but just finish it to the point that they would before they sprayed the stucco how bad would it be? How much more work would I have to do to get it to the point of painting it?
Thanks
fromwithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Talk to your builder
Since they will be doing the work they will be able to tell you how much more work you will need to do

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Stucco ceiling = popcorn ceiling correct?

This may give you an idea. I commonly see ~$1-2 square foot quoted for removing a popcorn ceiling, finishing, and applying something like a skip trowel finish. With a lot of the work being the prep for removal and then removal of the popcorn texture.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,114

Textured ceilings normally get tape and a bed coat, then texture. Smooth ceilings NORMALLY get one more coat of mud prior to sanding. Unless they're talking about a "level 5" finish (not likely) which would also get the entire surface "glazed" with a thin layer of joint compound prior to sanding. This is rare even in "higher end" homes, usually specified in commercial work where critical lighting is an issue. The additional price SEEMS awfully high to me, but pricing varies from place to place. Depending on whether you have a lot of vaulted/high ceilings requiring scaffold work, a pro should be able to skim 2400' of ceilings in less than a day. Sand same in less than a day also. Just my $.02 worth.....
Advertisement