Strengthen Walls Of Buildings On Blocks - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Strengthen walls of buildings on blocks

Your thoughts please.

Here in central Alberta I have a couple 40+ year old old plywood sheathed buildings that are standard gable roofed buildings. (Unfinished interiors so exposed studs where no cupboards or shelving is present.)

Both are on blocks basically sitting on the surface of the ground. So both are subject to a bit of movement due to ground freezing.

My task:
I want to level them both up, reduce further movement, and then add then clad them with metal siding. Since both are subject to a bit of sagging I want to strengthen the structures first to add to their lifespans, reduce future issues, and minimize risk of the metal siding panels bending, bowing, kinking, tearing, etc.

Building #1 The boathouse: is a 1/2” plywood sheathed 2x4 construction, 16x22 boathouse with a 3/4” plywood floor on beams on concrete blocks on sand and dirt a few inches above the lake water level. It’s 2’ off the ground at the lake side and the inland side is flush with the ground. (Doors under gable ends, no windows.) So for the boathouse I can add/strengthen the beams under the floors and walls and so plan to do that. That’s fairly easy. so for that building I can minimize any future sag along the length of the side walls.

Building #2 The garage: is a 3/8” plywood sheathed 2x4 construction, 22x24 gable roofed garage package sitting on slightly slopes ground on cinder blocks. Flush with ground at front, 1’ off ground at back. (Dirt floor, man-door and 16’ garage door both side by side under one gable end, no windows)

Considerations:

A: Add standard furring for metal panels, creates air space, creates voids that allow for panels to dent, provides depth of wood for screws. Fast and cheap but may regret doing it this way.

B: Add a new layer of sheathing overtop of the old. Essentially laminating a 8’x22’ panel.

😄 Add say 2x12s onto the top and bottom of the walls and then nailing, gluing, screwing say a layer(s) of 3/4” plywood to the wall between the 2x12s to create a 8’ deep I-beam effect.

😧 as above with 2x12s but with diagonal cross bracing in between to create a surface mounted 8’ deep truss effect.

Thicker walls:
Since adding a bit of beam depth adds much more strength to a beam, and since I have no windows on the long walls my thinking is that I can somehow stiffen the walls to prevent sag, racking, etc. to both relief pressure points by spreading the load across the underlying blocks and assist in keeping the buildings level, keep the siding in better shape from denying from falling trees, bumping into it, etc. (Thicker walls might prevent a falling tree from doing more damage beyond the roof damage.)

Putting on the metal siding might be a lot easier if I just add another layer of plywood sheathing. If I offset it from the layer I will strength the walls at the same time.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,826

Re: Strengthen walls of buildings on blocks

Aaaaa, maybe. post a few pictures of each and we can have a look. I think you are well down the road of ever thinking it.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 144

Re: Strengthen walls of buildings on blocks

Quote:
My task:
I want to level them both up, reduce further movement, and then add then clad them with metal siding. Since both are subject to a bit of sagging I want to strengthen the structures first to add to their lifespans, reduce future issues, and minimize risk of the metal siding panels bending, bowing, kinking, tearing, etc.
Ayuh,...... Use structural steel under the buildin's between the wood, 'n whatever foundation you choose,.....
Blocks, piers, whatever

Build a solid supported steel base, 'n ya really don't need to over-build the walls,......
Straight is straight,.....

Do all the foundation work 1st,....
Get the jackin' 'n twistin' done before addin' anything to the walls,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement