Storage Closet Under Metal Carport - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 2 Post By chandler48

Old 05-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 49

Storage closet under metal carport

I am putting in a 2 bay metal carport, and want to build in a storage closet in the front of one bay, to measure about 6' x 10'.

Thinking I will frame with 2x's and finish out with hardie board and batten.

My concern is water intrusion up under the walls. My current carport, in heavy rain or rain with wind, will get the slab wet almost all the way across (18' x 24'). Slab has a slight crown to it, but surface tension/puddling will make for about 1/8" of water in places, on occasion.

I am thinking I should seal the PT plates to the concrete floor with construction adhesive, then maybe also caulk the outside wood/concrete junction (before sheathing/hardie).

And then the door. This is mostly for yard tools. Lawn mowers and stuff will be in my barn. I'm thinking to let the bottom plate run continuous, thru the doorway, letting the doorway threshold set up 1-1/2" more than normal.

Either this attempt to seal water out, or build it on a subfloor, PT joists (2x's) on edge on the concrete, 3/4 subfloor over that, and vented at the ends of each cavity to let water and moisture come and go as it will. One step up as you enter the door.

I am open to advice, comments, ideas. Thanks!
ranger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 982

Re: Storage closet under metal carport

I would put it up on blocks, They make 8X16 concrete blocks that are about 3 inches thick.

I would start with several of them laid flat on the concrete floor of the carport, then build the closet ( shed) as a usual shed, with the floor joists sitting on the blocks, shimmed for level, and a plywood floor, and walls and roof.

The blocks will possibly need sealing to keep them from wicking any water up to the wood floor, but that is easy with a concrete sealer.

ED
123pugsy likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,334

I'd also run a course of block first, then the wood. Easier to seal it from rain and less danger of the wood rotting.
123pugsy and de-nagorg like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 626

Blocks are a good idea, but you should seal them in some manner to prevent water wicking. I built one for a client, but it was a little different from what you describe. It worked well and had no water infiltration. Use sill seal and OSI Quad Max to seal the PT bottom plate down and OSI to seal the outer part of the plate. Allow your siding to extend slightly below the bottom plate, but not enough to become wet from splashing.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage closet under metal carport-dscf0821.jpg  
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement