Stongest Joint To Support A Skychair. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Stongest joint to support a skychair.

Hi guys. I want to make an "L" shape mount to hang a skychair from outside on our patio. I want to bury it in cement and have it over hang the patio. It needs to be able to support at least 350#. How thick does the wood need to be, and what type of joint should I use to make the "L" joint? I was thinking a cross lap? The chair would hang 24"-36" from the corner.

Thanks in advance!
xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
Hi guys. I want to make an "L" shape mount to hang a skychair from outside on our patio. I want to bury it in cement and have it over hang the patio. It needs to be able to support at least 350#. How thick does the wood need to be, and what type of joint should I use to make the "L" joint? I was thinking a cross lap? The chair would hang 24"-36" from the corner.

Thanks in advance!
I'll plead ignorance to what a skychair is, but you'll need more then an "L" to support it. You'll need diagonal bracing between the two parts to support any weight.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-08-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Sorry...this is a sky chair. Can you please suggest the best way to support this? I was thinking about the diagonal brace, forgot to mention it. Does it matter how far away from the corner I place it?
Attached Images

xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
Sorry...this is a sky chair. Can you please suggest the best way to support this? I was thinking about the diagonal brace, forgot to mention it. Does it matter how far away from the corner I place it?
To support 350 lbs, the further the better.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

You should be thinking steel, not wood.
Probably 1-1/4" X 4" X 5/16" steel channel with a knee brace. Welded.

How will the hanger be supported at the surface?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

can you just sister in a pressure treated 2x8 to an internal ceiling joist in the house? that should do it.

What are you thinking of for the vertical element? just a free standing post? that would be a pretty significant bending load right were it is likely to rot; were the post meets the ground, no matter what you did to brace your horizontal. you'll also be getting an equal torque at he low point of whatever bracing you do. my rusty math skills say it would be about 1200ft-lbs of torque with just the static load. Rocking a bit and getting in would probably double that number, maybe more. I'd want a pressure treated 6x6 at a minimum and be darned sure there are no knots in either area. even then, I'd probably put in some sort of cable to counteract the load.

You could do something like a tower crane configuration and brace it above the horizontal member.

Honestly; the best way would be to run a pair of posts, then hang the seat from the span. maybe even have it on a glider like sliding barn door tracks to make it more mobile.

those seats are really made to be hung from something like a gazebo with plenty of structure to brace against any swinging load.

Just look at the structure they put into a children swing. swinging loads can be a real bear. a little fancy wooden "L" wont come close to cutting it.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement