Source For Cheap(er) Windows? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
FlyingHammer

Rewards Points: 81

Source for cheap(er) windows?

Anyone know of a good place to order quality (non-vinal) windows for new construction? The big box stores seem overpriced, so I'm looing for a less expensive source. I know there has to be somebody out there sellig them on the Internet, but I haven't had any luck finding them.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

"The big box stores seem overpriced, so I'm looing for a less expensive source." How do you know they are overpriced? You want a quality money and you want it cheap? I guess I don't understand what you are asking. It sounds like you want wine on a beer budget. The more you pay, the better window you will get. The less you pay, the less quality you will get. This hold virtually true for everything in life.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
FlyingHammer

Rewards Points: 81

Um, no. It doesn't hold true for everything in life. Have you ever heard of a discounter? I'm just looking for a lower price. Is that so hard to understand?
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Sorry just re-read your post...can't help
gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Craigslist

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,251

If you are just a homeowner, it's hard to get building products lower than retail pricing unless you can find a manufacturer that will sell direct to you. You have wholesalers, distributers and retailers in between. Each marks up the price. A lot of manufactureres will have unilateral minimum pricing so the products can't be sold to you less than that set price.

It's a tightly controlled process.

Some manufacturers will sell direct to contractors. We purchase doors direct from a local manufacturer.

If you know someone who is a contractor, maybe, if you offer of a case or two of beer of their liking, they will purchase the windows through their supplier and pass it on to you at their cost.

I used Simonton vinyl windows on my custom home and I'd recommend them to anyone. They are low-e, argon filled and energy star rated. U-Factor ranges from .27 to .31. They come with an attached, primed wood jamb extension as well.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

I think Josh is right and those outside the trade always insist on applying the, "I want something for nothing" rule! I want you to take a minute FlyingHammer and look at Josh's work, exquisite and I bet he doesn't show up at your door step for $15 dollars and hour but I bet Billie Bob will. "But Billie Bob will give me the same thing that Josh will!" NOT.

If you want quality you pay for it, it is that simple. If you want good windows then you pay a good price. The big box stores have the cheapest prices you will find probably cheaper than the lumber yards because they buy 1000's of windows from Anderson, Pella, Marvin etc. where the lumber yards only buy a few hundred maybe. You may find that the lumber yard stocks a little higher quality line than the big box store so once again pay more get more.

The other flip of the coin is why do we want to support the internet companies? When your pane cracks who takes care of you? If you purchase the window from the local lumber yard, they do, and maybe the internet company will. If you have a seal that fails who will replace the window? The local craftsman that installed it will, the internet company might. When you are upset who are you going to voice your concerns to one of the 10 operators that answer phones for the internet company that doesn't really care about you after all they only make $7.50 and hour and their shift ends at 5:00 and they have heard from 25 upset callers from all over the country just today and they don't care to put up with it anymore.

I could continue to make my point but hopefully you understand where I am coming from. It really is hard to understand why we are always looking for personalized service and 100% satisfaction (there is no such thing as 110% of something so I am not going to apply that anlogy) at a discounted price. If you want quality don't be afraid to spend a little more, that is reality, you can always find stuff for a discount but if you do "Caveat Emptor"

I stand beside Josh and support his analogy that generally,

"The more you pay, the better window you will get. The less you pay, the less quality you will get. This hold virtually true for everything in life."

You can get a cheaper window but it won't be the quality of a Marvin, Pella or an Andersen because in order to get that quality the manufacturers set the rock bottom price that retailers can sell their product for because they do not want their product viewed as cheap. Also, they know the quality of their product. That is also why Josh isn't going to show up at your door step for $15 dollars an hour because he knows his product and knows that he does quality work unlike Billy Bob who will. You will just call Josh to fix it!

Take care and yes it is hard to understand why everyone always wants to hire Billy Bob because he comes at a discount, so now I ask you is that so hard to understand?
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #8

Andersen, IMHO, the best bang for your wood window $$$$. Weathershiled is also one to consider. Pella has had issues with rot for many years and are not responsive to those problems.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Save a few dollars now but you'll shell out more later.

Not sure the op understands the 'discounter' business model and should spend this time boning up on what to look for in a window...

And hey don't think that 'saving money' is a virtue or that we all have a secret that we're keeping from you. Or that "saving" is an American National Passtime - or a vocation in life.

Quality has long term benefits you can't even see now.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
the Musigician

"new construction"? you're in luck!!!!
i call window/siding/door businesses and ask for 'mis-measured' windows. since i am doing the framing myself, the EXACT size does not matter. as long as it's close to what i want, i frame the RO and put in NEW windows for a fraction of the price!
a dozen windows, all brand new, with low-e, argon, nailing fins and built-in J-channel have cost me less than $800!!!!! and this INCLUDES the 2 brand new 6'x6' picture windows @ $100 each!! again... IT PAYS BIGTIME TO USE THE PHONE FIRST!!!

DM
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #11

I bought the majority of my windows off craigslist at 50-80% off the reg price. Almost every single one was brand new. Some were still in the box, some were not. These were for an addition I am building

I did pick up (2) used Andersen windows for the garage - $75 for (2). They were 2842's, normally $300 each brand new. (2) back slider windows for the garage were FREE

Local lumber store does have a mis-ordered window area
But the best buys I found were on Craigslist

I also picked up a fixed double Andersen 5' patio door for FREE
And I picked up 3 garage doors to use (Temp) for FREE. One is nice & insulated - normally $600+ ? Person just wanted to get rid of it

The rest of the house I also went almost exclusively with Andersen
1 window from the house to a 3 season porch is Pella
2 windows in the new attic are Pella (1 was free)
1 window on the 2nd floor is a Pella
2 new Andersen windows on the 3 season porch were $75 for both

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I think Josh is right and those outside the trade always insist on applying the, "I want something for nothing" rule! I want you to take a minute FlyingHammer and look at Josh's work, exquisite and I bet he doesn't show up at your door step for $15 dollars and hour but I bet Billie Bob will. "But Billie Bob will give me the same thing that Josh will!" NOT.

If you want quality you pay for it, it is that simple. If you want good windows then you pay a good price. The big box stores have the cheapest prices you will find probably cheaper than the lumber yards because they buy 1000's of windows from Anderson, Pella, Marvin etc. where the lumber yards only buy a few hundred maybe. You may find that the lumber yard stocks a little higher quality line than the big box store so once again pay more get more.

The other flip of the coin is why do we want to support the internet companies? When your pane cracks who takes care of you? If you purchase the window from the local lumber yard, they do, and maybe the internet company will. If you have a seal that fails who will replace the window? The local craftsman that installed it will, the internet company might. When you are upset who are you going to voice your concerns to one of the 10 operators that answer phones for the internet company that doesn't really care about you after all they only make $7.50 and hour and their shift ends at 5:00 and they have heard from 25 upset callers from all over the country just today and they don't care to put up with it anymore.

I could continue to make my point but hopefully you understand where I am coming from. It really is hard to understand why we are always looking for personalized service and 100% satisfaction (there is no such thing as 110% of something so I am not going to apply that anlogy) at a discounted price. If you want quality don't be afraid to spend a little more, that is reality, you can always find stuff for a discount but if you do "Caveat Emptor"

I stand beside Josh and support his analogy that generally,

"The more you pay, the better window you will get. The less you pay, the less quality you will get. This hold virtually true for everything in life."

You can get a cheaper window but it won't be the quality of a Marvin, Pella or an Andersen because in order to get that quality the manufacturers set the rock bottom price that retailers can sell their product for because they do not want their product viewed as cheap. Also, they know the quality of their product. That is also why Josh isn't going to show up at your door step for $15 dollars an hour because he knows his product and knows that he does quality work unlike Billy Bob who will. You will just call Josh to fix it!

Take care and yes it is hard to understand why everyone always wants to hire Billy Bob because he comes at a discount, so now I ask you is that so hard to understand?
Awesome post!
I hope flying hammer comes too his senses- In the Window Business you usually get what you pay for... why do want too take a chance on cheap windows and all the problems that come with that...buy a piece of mind and go with the best brands. Yes, you pay a little more...but how many times do you want to replace your windows in your lifetime...sounds like you have money too burn...cheap windows are for rich people...LOL ...look out-- Flying Hammer coming....
Understand that Billy Bob comes cheap because of Billy Bob doesn't come with the complete understanding on how to correctly install a window..Billy Bob comes slap happy-gee lets just slap it in and move on...
If the window is not installed to MFG instuctions or specs it's usually not under warranty-Just An FYI...

Stay away from the following
Pella - class action law suite
Jeld Wen- poor quality-service-cheaply made-poor ratings
Crestline-junk

any non national vinyl windows-
here today-out of business tomorrow

Or yeah
Stay from anyone named Billy Bob....LOL
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks Emily!

I want everyone who reads this posting to understand that I meant not to whine nor did I make up the basis of this theory up. I don't want people to think that I am just some whiny contractor upset with those whose work comes at a bargain price. I have seen the results plenty of times of the bargain deal whether it be in product or in workmanship however I have seen both and the two actually correlate as strange as it may seem. I am going to reference three projects that I have personally dealt with and invite readers to look at these projects as well. The links are as follows:

http://paragonrenovations.net/basementtrim.aspx ... a basement project done by a contractor who underbid me by about $20,000.00 on a project. However when it was all said and done the contractor didn't know how to do trim and I received the call to do the trim again at a discounted price. I learned my lesson and now I don't bid ANYTHING!

http://paragonrenovations.net/northfargo.aspx Poor workmanship does not always come from new contractors because the one who did this project has been in business for 35 years. I don't ever think he was a craftsman and is the reason 20/ 20 has material to do shows on shotty workmanship!

http://paragonrenovations.net/southmoorheadrental.aspx Another example of the cheap contractor at work. This is the worst abortion I have ever seen.

There is a reason I charge more than Billie Bob and the reason Andersen charges more than Jeldwen. There are "deals" out there but like I have said and will say again "caveat emptor" and you get what you pay for.

Thanks again Emily and I hope that people look at those projects I posted not because I am trying to drive traffic to my site but because I am trying to drive home a point about you get what you pay for and some times you just get taken!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction , windows