Soon To Be Enclosed Patio, Wall Suggestions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soon to be enclosed Patio, wall suggestions

The wife and I are planning on enclosing our patio/sunroom. There's already a roof covering it and it's supported by 4x4's. It's currently screened in. The previous owners left the aluminum siding up along the exterior house walls in the patio, which is pretty bad looking. So we want to tear that down and put up something that looks nicer.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what could be used in place of that siding? The patio is going to get rescreened and will eventually get windows but not till much later. I'm guessing some exterior grade material, but not sure what though.

Thanks,
Don
altdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #2

Hi Altdon.

You said that the aluminium is up on the exterior wall. So when you remove it. Is the exterior wall exposed. Was the alumunium used to create effect? Apologies if i'm not understanding

Cheer Marianne
diy-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

Sorry for not explaining it better. The house had aluminum siding. previous owners then extended roof out over the back of the house creating a patio area. Sometime after that they redid the siding with vinyl, but never bothered to change the part that was under the patio. So right now if i remove the aluminum siding it will expose the tyvek on the exterior wall.
altdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

What to replace it with depends upon the look you want
Some people might go with a stone look, some might get vinyl to match
Others might decide to wait & install sheetrock once the area is fully enclosed. Cedar/pine shingles are an option

Does the area get any water/rain right now?
I enclosed my front patio into a 3 season porch - very small

I took the old vinyl & wood shingles off & left the old sheathing - which looks like barnboard. Eventually it will be refinished - maybe cedar shingles

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by altdon View Post
Sorry for not explaining it better. The house had aluminum siding. previous owners then extended roof out over the back of the house creating a patio area. Sometime after that they redid the siding with vinyl, but never bothered to change the part that was under the patio. So right now if i remove the aluminum siding it will expose the tyvek on the exterior wall.
Generally you would do the patio walls to match the rest of the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 77

The people before us had enclosed their patio like you are thinking. We added hardiplank to one interior-exterior house wall of our enclosed patio in order to visually tie the enclosing wall (redwood) back to the house. We thought it looks too isolated and sort of out of place the way it was. See pictures here: http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...si?oid=6841816

We also looked into facade bricks and stone which you may want to consider since you are wanting to do away with the siding look. We went with the hardiplank because it was cheaper and seemed like it would be easier for me to DIY as a newbie (to get right, to figure out quantities and costs, etc.).

Hope this helps.
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 186

I built my screened in porch last year and as soon as I get a chance I plan on using exterior grade 1x6" T&G Cedar .

Prices vary,depending on the grade,check your local lumber yard.Some prefinished products can be found on line at a fair price.Just allow for extra to avoid reshipping costs.
It can be clear coated,stained,allowed to weather ,or painted.
Being that is in a somewhat protected area,the finish should last a long time.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

I'd check to see if you need a permit first. Adding siding, then windows to an existing patio that had a roof added. It all starts at the foundation, which you probably don't have as the roof is held up by posts. Soon it will be enclosed and maybe some heat? Then some wallboard, and wiring? All built on a patio slab, with or without thickened footings. Down the line someone asks- why a crack in my concrete slab? See what your local B.D. says, you may be fine for what started as a simple patio slab. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement