Sloping Dirt Away From House - Will Rocks Help? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sloping dirt away from house - will rocks help?

We have a space under our deck where the ground slopes towards the house. I can crawl underneath and I'll see water trapped in the slope, up against the basement crawlspace. Only on really bad rains do we get a small amount of water in the crawlspace, but I want to eliminte that.

I want the ground to slope away from the house, not slope towards it, right?

Can I use rocks to fill in some of the space then use dirt on top of that? I'll need less dirt. Does rocks (a non-porous item) matter? It's the top contour of the surface that matters, right? So water will drain away from the house , not puddle against the house? So can I use lots of rocks under there?

thanks!
babaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Water will still seep through dirt then go through the rock depending on how deep you are going. When it goes through the rock you will still need a way to get the water now trapped away from the house. I would use all dirt.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Rocks won't make a difference if the backfill is not sloped properly. Acceptable backfil is normally class 1 and must be compacted to 95%.

Then of course is the question of waterproofing around the house. Is water penetrating the foundation wall? If it is, it's time to bring in a Professional.

Pics would help.
Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

oh yeah, I'd slope it away from the house. Being under the deck, I'm on my hands and knees so I can't compact it that well. I figure over time it'll compact. water penetrating the wall? isn't that always whats happening when water seeps into a house?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 562

if you can get 6 inches slope in first 2-3 ' that will help,,all dirt no rocks. I would fold the heaviest plastic I could and go out 4 foot on that slope at least,as close to and tight to wall then put inch of dirt or some gravel on it to keep in place. you want it to act as a tarp and shed all water. Make sure it doesnt puddle even then,,make it drain away in the big storms. ANY puddle will soak back a long ways. look and make sure its working as intended,,while its raining cats and dogs!!!!!put on a raincoat if you melt in the rain.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

thanks, but the plastic - you don't normally do that around a house, right? So why here?

and what's the rocks do or don't do that you say to leave them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement