Sliding Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

sliding doors

Not sure which forum to put this under, but anyway...
replaced header on a 6 ft sliding door. Attached to that header was a vinyl strip cap . I failed to replace it as I thought the door was sealed tight in the exterior with stucco.
Anyway while working on it today i noticed daylight coming through the top of the frame.
How can I repair this?
Can I spray the window and door great stuff from the inside? the can says it is water repellant.
If not, how do I replace a seal to prevent water leaks without cutting into the exterior stucco?
Thanks.
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

If there is a drip cap under the stucco now and you have a gap then do this. Slide a new metal drip cap under the old one and on top of your door. Seal this edge with window flashing tape first. Use the spray foam from the inside first, cut flush at both ends after it dries. You need to shed the water over the door top.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #3

There is no drip cap on it, the original one was removed with the old header. I can see a gap through the top of the door.Very small, but enpugh for light to enter, therefore water.
Not sure how to slide a new drip cap so water can stay out and not travel down jack studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

use a multimaster tool or similar and cut a slot under the stucco to insert a drip cap. Or remove 3" of stucco and do the job right. Anything else will leak and rot the framing.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

Would I be able to slip the drip cap from the inside?
When I look at the space above the frame it is a couple of millimeters, very slim. Enough for light to pass.
I forgot about the cap and nailed in the new header already. Will this pose a problem slipping in the drip cap?
I was going to just use caulk on the outside around the top and both sides, will this alone be enough to seal the space?
Sorry or all the questions, but this is new to me and cutting the stucco is really something I'd rather avoid.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

caulking alone will never work. At least not for very long. I cannot see any way to slip a piece of drip edge in from the inside. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

You need to have the membrane overlapped on to the nailing flange and sealed to it with a flashing wrap. Water will get behind your stucco, in fact, it is there right now. The tar paper or other material behind the stucco protects your framing and allows a drainage plane for this moisture. What you are doing is a recipe for disaster. You have messed with the drainage plane without tying into it. Eventually water will find a way in unless you properly install this door. You may have to remove some stucco. I am guessing the reason you have not done this is because you don't have the tools and don't know much about replacing stucco. This is not the time for DIY in my opinion. Call a reputable stucco repair company and have them come seal it back up after you install the door.
Advertisement