Sleeper Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By cibula11
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Sleeper Floor


I'm wondering if there's a preference or "right" way to install a sleeper system over a wood subfloor to raise a sloped area in a room? The floor slopes, but does not bow and we're wanting to level it. We can't raise the foundation as that's really not a viable option for multiple reasons, but will be laying wood flooring and want to correct the floor as much as possible.

That being said, my initial plan is to install a sleeper (2x4 cut in a large wedge) on top of the subfloor/joists then screw new plywood sheeting over. Should the sleepers be installed on top of the joists or installed perpendicular to the joists? Or does it not really matter?
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 31,380
Rewards Points: 6,418
Default

Re: Sleeper Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I'm wondering if there's a preference or "right" way to install a sleeper system over a wood subfloor to raise a sloped area in a room? The floor slopes, but does not bow and we're wanting to level it. We can't raise the foundation as that's really not a viable option for multiple reasons, but will be laying wood flooring and want to correct the floor as much as possible.

That being said, my initial plan is to install a sleeper (2x4 cut in a large wedge) on top of the subfloor/joists then screw new plywood sheeting over. Should the sleepers be installed on top of the joists or installed perpendicular to the joists? Or does it not really matter?
If it is close to impossible to level from below, then I would put sleepers on top of the joists with glue and screws thru to the joists.
How will that effect thresholds to other rooms and door way heights
cibula11 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
cibula11 (05-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: Sleeper Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
If it is close to impossible to level from below, then I would put sleepers on top of the joists with glue and screws thru to the joists.
How will that effect thresholds to other rooms and door way heights
Thanks! This is what I was thinking too. Thresholds, ceiling heights, all of it will have to remedied and yes, I've thought through that. This won't be a small scale project. All new interior doors, trim, etc. for the area being leveled. The home is 105 yrs old, so we can get away with certain aesthetic issues we encounter.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 31,380
Rewards Points: 6,418
Default

Re: Sleeper Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
Thanks! This is what I was thinking too. Thresholds, ceiling heights, all of it will have to remedied and yes, I've thought through that. This won't be a small scale project. All new interior doors, trim, etc. for the area being leveled. The home is 105 yrs old, so we can get away with certain aesthetic issues we encounter.
I helped a friend lift his house back in place, one corner was down 3+ inches. The basement floor was also out so he put sleepers and wood floor to level it. What he forgot is the outlets on the wall should have be adjusted to the new floor height.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: Sleeper Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I helped a friend lift his house back in place, one corner was down 3+ inches. The basement floor was also out so he put sleepers and wood floor to level it. What he forgot is the outlets on the wall should have be adjusted to the new floor height.
Yeah I don't think that will be too big of an issue for me. Only 2 outlets and both are high enough. One doorway has to be raised and new header installed but it's not load bearing so I'm not stressing about that. However, there's always a couple of things that show up when doing any remodel no matter how well you plan.
Nealtw likes this.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the minimum floor space required for a winder staircase vestaviascott Building & Construction 27 05-01-2015 11:36 PM
Floor joist replacement and reconfiguration WillK Carpentry 2 09-01-2011 09:01 AM
Sleeper floor with no access northwestsoul Flooring 0 08-12-2011 01:57 PM
cant deciding what to do about sleeper floor on slab acerunner Remodeling 1 05-14-2011 06:19 PM
2nd floor air flow/pressure fgillis HVAC 7 02-24-2009 05:58 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts