Simpson Strong-tie Pricing? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Simpson Strong-tie pricing?

Hello, I just designed a large project that requires 28 metal connectors. When I went to order (home depot), they tried to charge full list, which I find shockingly expensive. $2800 for 28 pieces of bent sheet metal. When I said forget it they agreed to discount 10%. I'm a diyer with no commercial accounts. What's a decent discount off list for Simpson StrongTie stuff, and is there another vendor or even another manufacturer of similiar connectors I should be considering? thanks in advance
diywengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

28 for $2800. that's $100 per hanger. Was there a typo there somewhere?

try one of those online price-comparison shops like shopzilla.com
tom_matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diywengr View Post
Hello, I just designed a large project that requires 28 metal connectors. When I went to order (home depot), they tried to charge full list, which I find shockingly expensive. $2800 for 28 pieces of bent sheet metal. When I said forget it they agreed to discount 10%. I'm a diyer with no commercial accounts. What's a decent discount off list for Simpson StrongTie stuff, and is there another vendor or even another manufacturer of similiar connectors I should be considering? thanks in advance
Welcome to the world of modern construction.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_matthews View Post
28 for $2800. that's $100 per hanger. Was there a typo there somewhere?

try one of those online price-comparison shops like shopzilla.com
nope, no typo. for example - post caps that ride on 6x6 posts and support two beams at a corner are $340 each. no custom requests, all catalog parts.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

It's hard to know exactly which hanger you're talking about without an item number, but that seems unreasonably high. What about notching the 6-by-6 support post and lagging the 2-by beams inside the notch? That would at least give you adequate post-to-beam support, and you can then strengthen the connection with different (cheaper) metal hangers. I built a deck this year using a ton of Simpson hangers -- the accrued price can definitely add up quickly but none of them approached anywhere near that price.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Hi Tom and thanks for the response. The piece I gave as an example is:
ECCLLQ464SDS. Your suggested construction method was much like my original intent with this project, which is a large free standing carport. I could not get the building permit until I agreed to use all mechanical connectors and engineered lumber for all perimeter beams.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diywengr View Post
Hi Tom and thanks for the response. The piece I gave as an example is:
ECCLLQ464SDS. Your suggested construction method was much like my original intent with this project, which is a large free standing carport. I could not get the building permit until I agreed to use all mechanical connectors and engineered lumber for all perimeter beams.
Wow! I understand why you're stuck with the metal ties. Pretty strict code guidelines where you live. I didn't have to jump through many hoops at all when I built my deck. In fact, when I pulled my permit the local bldg inspector was basically only worried about the cost of materials and how that would impact his permit fee (which rises with the cost of the project). Not a very shrewd inspector at all. In fact, down here in Alabama there are many counties who have codes, but for all practical purposes they go unenforced because there is no building inspector (except for the installation of septic tank systems). Sorry you're having to deal with this bureaucratic bologna.

I did find a cheaper version but it's still $303: http://www.connectorsonly.com/eccocapri1.html

still, this is ridiculous to me. You're forced by code to adhere to this building practice, even though I'm pretty sure the notch with lag through-bolts seems like it would be just as structurally sound. If I was forced to follow the same guidelines, I simply wouldn't have been able to afford to build the deck.

Is your area susceptible to extremely high winds or earthquakes? If so, maybe those practices are there for a reason and are legit. But sometimes the codes are enforced through political wranglings--lobbying by one party or another--and not only with the citizens' best interest in mind. I'm interested because I write a home-improvement column and this might make a topic idea some time in the future. 300+ bucks for a mandatory metal connector seems downright unfair and (for many people) ultimately cost-prohibitive.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #8

There are no earthquake or wind conditions here that would require anything special. We use a 30lb snow load rating. I don't think we have anything beyond national code in this municipality. What I think my situation here is, is a code officer not well versed in this style of construction (modified post and beam), and unwilling to fully evaluate my self made plans. If I had drawn and stamped plans he would have accepted them(althought not required for this construction here), Or LVL's and mechanical connectors. So my choies were, pay the architect, pay for the hardware, or pay a lawyer. at least this way I get the hardware. Thanks for the link. I guess builders accept the price as they pay less and it saves on labor. But I still think $300 is crazy for that bit of sheet metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement