Simple Roof Over A Shavings Bin - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Simple roof over a shavings bin

Hi, I am a first time poster looking for advice on a simple project.
I have a 10 x 12 shavings bin (on a horse farm). I have been covering the bin with a tarp, but I am tired of the look and of replacing the tarp every year. So I have decided to build a roof for the bin.

The roof has 2 jobs: 1. Keep the shavings dry and 2. get out of the way when the dump truck comes to refill the bin with shavings. Beauty, sound proofing, insullation are not considerations. All I need is the most basic of coverings.

But, because of #2 the roof needs to be very light. I had this wild idea of making a frame out of PVC pipes and screwing a metal roof to the PVC. If I run joists and cross braces every 2' would the PVC hold up a metal roof? And what size PVC should I use?

I plan to raise the roof using cable and pulleys (attached to a tree which is right next to the bin). It will only need to be opened once every 2 months.

Thank you for any help you can give this beginner DIY'er.

I need to keep the cost low which is why I am trying not to involve a carpenter.
PMahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,522

Interesting approach.

I think you may find that wood would close to the same and be easier to attach the new roof to.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,774

Ayuh,.... I could see usin' wood at each end, 'n relyin' on the corrugations in the metal for lengthwise rigidity,....

A 2x4 for mountin' the hinges, 'n a 2x4, 'ell, a 2x2 to attach the cables,....

Pop-rivet the seams of the roofin' to get the width,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

I'd stay away from the PVC for this. I have a couple of customers with 1-1/2" PVC framed kennels with metal roofs that I've repaired a few times.

These are like 5' x 20' PVC/metal roofs which for the most part work fine for them but I couldn't even see that 5' span working well on any type of hinge system. Just to fragile for that, especially when it's cold out.

Can you post a few pictures of your setup standing back so we can see what you have to work with?

BTW...Welcome to the site.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how to upload a picture directly, but this is a link to the blight on my landscape which is my shavings bin. Really, the rest of the farm is well taken care of and looks wonderful.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps17deaecb.jpg

The bin is 10' wide and 12' deep and is higher in back, but the hinges would have to go on the left so the roof could be secured to the tree when the shavings truck is there.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Your pic is upside down in the link (in my view) I re-posted it for you.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
PMahony (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,478

How about a roll up cover like used for pools? If you used the same material as a pool cover it should last more than year.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Do you have a tractor? If so, these carports are pretty cheap. They could dump the load and you could just move it inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Simple roof over a shavings bin-diy-car-port.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Do you have a tractor? If so, these carports are pretty cheap. They could dump the load and you could just move it inside.
Actually I was thinking that you could get a company that makes those to make him what he wants! That tubular framing the use is very light yet very strong. Shouldn't cost much to get them to fabricate one and you would never have to worry about it again.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

The carport idea might be good for someone starting from scratch (although it does not solve the water problem, because rain (and wind) can still come in from all 4 sides (nor is it retractable -- so it does not work from that point of view), but I already have a shavings bin which is just the right size. All I need is a top, which can move out of the way, to put on it.

PS: I have a tractor with a bucket, but I am usually not there during the day when the shavings man comes. By the time I get home, often after dark, the shavings might be wet or if it is windy, they would be scattered everywhere. I need a system which will allow the shavings man to leave the shavings enclosed, out of wind and rain.

PPS: I love the retractable pool cover idea, but I am trying to get this little project made for under $300. "Inexpensive" needs to be high on my list of design ideas. If money were not an issue, I have a carpenter who could come in and give me just what I want for $1500.

Last edited by PMahony; 02-07-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMahony View Post
The carport idea might be good for someone starting from scratch (although it does not solve the water problem, because rain (and wind) can still come in from all 4 sides (nor is it retractable -- so it does not work from that point of view), but I already have a shavings bin which is just the right size. All I need is a top, which can move out of the way, to put on it.
What I was suggesting was to go to one of the company that builds those carports and have them just fabricate a flat cover to your dimensions. They are very lightweight yet very strong. You could then use the rope and pulley system like you are planning on using to lift it.Considering an entire carport can be had for about $1500, a cover like you want should be very reasonable.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,768

With a cover like your proposing wouldn't the wind wreck it, especially when opening it.?

Here's a silly thought I had, but it might work.?
Install a garage door over it. The first two panels would curve over and cover the front. The rest of the panels wouldn't need to bend, so you build a small A frame on that portion.
The track would extend straight out the back and braced with a small frame. The springs would hold the door shut, when open you could latch it.

I just saw two garage doors being given away on craigs list, you haul away.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Ron45, Your post gave me much to think about. I immediately went to Craigs List to see what I could find. It seems that a single garage door is 8 x 10 (and a double is far too big), so neither will work for my 10 x 12 bin. But the search led me to metal roof fabricators which might be what I need.
Sadly, since I live out in the country in NC, there are no companies near me (within 75 miles), but then I began to list the components involved --- and now I am thinking that all I may need is a welder to assemble the metal parts.
I am not able to follow up on this concept today (Sunday) but I am excited that all of your suggestions might have led me to a workable solution.
Thank you all.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,478

Post some pictures of the final results when you are done.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMahony View Post
Ron45, Your post gave me much to think about. I immediately went to Craigs List to see what I could find. It seems that a single garage door is 8 x 10 (and a double is far too big), so neither will work for my 10 x 12 bin. But the search led me to metal roof fabricators which might be what I need.
Sadly, since I live out in the country in NC, there are no companies near me (within 75 miles), but then I began to list the components involved --- and now I am thinking that all I may need is a welder to assemble the metal parts.
I am not able to follow up on this concept today (Sunday) but I am excited that all of your suggestions might have led me to a workable solution.
Thank you all.
Ayuh,.... As I said before,... 4 sheets of steel roofin', 3'x 12', a couple 2x4s, 'n some pop-rivets are all ya need,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (02-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement