Shower Grab Bar Installed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

shower grab bar installed

hey guys.

i did a custom shower stall recently, and now, after everything is done, the cusomter wants a grab bar installed.

this is really annoying for several reasons. one is that the shower is already very narrow and the bar will make it about 4-5" even less.
i could put it on the showerhead wall, but it was the old porch wall and a lot of the sheathing was removed for plumbing, so it's basically drywall fastened to some sheathing, with big holes through to the studs. they don't want it there anyway.

there are two studs somewhere in the wall where they want it, 16" centers, but i'm not sure which end i started layout from.
the few grab bars i've looked at, are either longer or shorter than 16" anyway.
would it be enough to mount with toggle bolts through the grout and holding onto the durock? seems a bit sketchy to me.

otherwise, the siding is not up yet on the wall. i could theoretically peel back some housewrap, cut out a chunk of sheathing, rip out some icynene, and install some 2X12 blocking or something and it will be easy to hit with screws.

how would you guys do this?
thanks.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
www.No-Curb.com

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like you all ready know what to do.

You all ready have the answer.

Look into the force needed to be applied in testing these grab bars and you will be dropping that house wrap - I'm sure.
JohnFRWhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

I just installed 3 shower grab bars on a fiberglass shower enclosure. They were stainless fixtures (looked good and the machine weld to the bolt flange was very good). Came from a big box store and were made in China if you can imagine that.

I installed 18" lengths with toggle bolts (3/16"). I also used silicone to seal all possible leakage points.

I don't know it they are the rated strength, but with 6 stout toggles on each bar, you would have to remove the enclosure to get them to let go.

You can always get longer screws if you are going through more layers, but probe before installing to make sure the length is OK. I had to cut 6 bolts for one because of the length of the open spaced in the cavity.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I just installed 3 shower grab bars on a fiberglass shower enclosure. They were stainless fixtures (looked good and the machine weld to the bolt flange was very good). Came from a big box store and were made in China if you can imagine that.

I installed 18" lengths with toggle bolts (3/16"). I also used silicone to seal all possible leakage points.

I don't know it they are the rated strength, but with 6 stout toggles on each bar, you would have to remove the enclosure to get them to let go.

You can always get longer screws if you are going through more layers, but probe before installing to make sure the length is OK. I had to cut 6 bolts for one because of the length of the open spaced in the cavity.

Dick
If you want to find the studs in the wall, take a small drill bit and drill along the grout line one tile up from the base until you find the studs. If they are 16" OC then after you find one the second is easy. Mix up a little grout and patch your drill holes.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement