Shower Basins - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

shower basins

We ripped out a bathtub and want to put in a shower. When I researched what was involved in preparing the shower bed from 'scratch' I thought it was a bit over our skill level, so now I'm looking at pre-fab products for shower basins. We'd like to tile the walls for sure, but are not sure if we want to be able to tile the floor or not. Does anyone have any experience with the pre-fab floors that they could recommend something? Also, is anyone familiar with the Kerdi shower system? thanks!
tweetofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mud floors with tile in mind are not for the novice. They require experience and knowledge to be sloped correctly and be leak proof. For that reason, I use premade bases whenever I can. I prefer stone or stone like products the require no more support, and they usually last longer than fiberglass.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

5 foot shower pans are available--either as stock,plain Jane or fancy.

Custom bases are available from many shops that make cultured marble counter tops.

A good option when converting a tub to a shower is to use a 4 foot base and add a 12 inch seat and matching return wall---

this usually involves moving the shower mixer to the opposite wall and some serious attention to water proofing the seat area---with this style a standard 4 foot door can be used.

There are several people here that use the Schluter shower system regularly--look for posts or blogs by Jazman or Bud Cline----Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

shower basins

The DIY chatroom is such a help! Thanks all! I have searched and read just about every post I could about the Schluter shower systems. It sounds like that might be the way to go. We are a "research-it-to-the-nth-degree" before we get started type folks, so now I need advice: Do we start with the how to dvd or I noticed there's a $9.95 online book we can download or is the pdf that you can download enough.

Also, there seems to be some controversy in the reviews as to whether to use "modified" or "un-modified" mortar. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? One guy who seemed like he had lots of experience was absolutely appalled that they suggested you use "un-modified" mortar and that your tiles would be falling off in about 5 years. Thoughts? Advice? thanks!
tweetofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Bud Cline and Jazman are frequent users of the Schluter system--Believe their posts--
Follow the manufacturers instructions--they are always the best source of info.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement