Should I Do A Full Jamb Or A Part Jamb For This Hole? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 192

Should I do a full Jamb or a part Jamb for this hole?

Hi there,
So this is the middle post of a wall, probably the most important one. Someone drilled the hole but drilled too big, which is almost about 1/2 of the whole depth of this post.
I'm in LA and I want my posts to be strong enough for earthquakes, Some people suggests me to put a jamb into that hole, as it could be worse to replace the whole post (which will loosen the top plates even more)
So I can :

1. Make a wooden jamb about the exact same size of this hole , and put it in, and re-drill another hole for wires.

2. Make a wooden jamb about maybe 1/2 of this hole, and put it in, so no need to drill another hole as the other 1/2 is good wires.

Which will make it structurally stronger?

Thanks
Sorry: please turn your head 90 degree to the right when you look at these photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigJim; 05-24-2019 at 10:41 AM.
rockman413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,643

Re: Should I do a full Jamb or a part Jamb for this hole?

If that is one stud out of however many are placed 16" apart I would drill a new hole in the center of the stud to meet elec code and safety.

If it makes you feel better add a 2 foot slab of 2x4 to one side of the notch, secured with construction screws.
ZZZZZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
If that is one stud out of however many are placed 16" apart I would drill a new hole in the center of the stud to meet elec code and safety.
Without putting a new jamb to fill the overly drilled hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,618

I would go a step further and sister the 2x4 along the entire height of the post. And a bit of construction adhesive along with the screws wouldn't hurt. (A full 2x4 is cheap.)

Then drill the appropriate size hole for the wiring though the 2x4 and into the existing over-sized notch hole. No need to plug the notch.
georgemcq likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,654

Looks like you have more than on that is a problem. I would sister new 2x4 stud beside the notched ones and drill holes for the cables. Under the electrical code those notches are not correct.
ZZZZZ likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman413 View Post
Without putting a new jamb to fill the overly drilled hole?

Now that the picture is right side up I see it is more than one stud so I would sister first then drill.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
I would go a step further and sister the 2x4 along the entire height of the post. And a bit of construction adhesive along with the screws wouldn't hurt. (A full 2x4 is cheap.)

Then drill the appropriate size hole for the wiring though the 2x4 and into the existing over-sized notch hole. No need to plug the notch.
The reason I'm concerned to sister with the 2 2X4 at the both side of this post is:
It's an old wall, and the bottom woods, some part of the woods are missing. I kinda worry that if I sister with another 2 2X4, it'll be more heavier than what the bottom woods can handle especially some pieces of those woods are already missing (my contractor said it's ok not to , probably also too hard to put in new woods inthose bottom holes) and may actually weaks these wall if there's earthquake.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,030

slip in the steel to protect the wire and add another stud on the flat beside that one.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ibe...-25/1000408042
Domo likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
The reason I'm concerned to sister with the 2 2X4 at the both side of this post is:
It's an old wall, and the bottom woods, some part of the woods are missing. I kinda worry that if I sister with another 2 2X4, it'll be more heavier than what the bottom woods can handle especially some pieces of those woods are already missing (my contractor said it's ok not to , probably also too hard to put in new woods inthose bottom holes) and may actually weaks these wall if there's earthquake.
The weight of a 2x4 is negligible compared to any load that the wall is carrying from above.

But if the bottom plate of the wall is also damaged, that's a concern that needs to be addressed first.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,548

Purchase stud shoe. Straighten out one leg of it. You now have an L shape bracket. Slip bracket between stud and drywall. Screw one leg of bracket (the one you didn't straighten) to one side of the stub. Using pliers bent the other leg toward the stud as much as possible. Then using C clamp bend the leg flat to side of stud. Fasten with screws.

Stud will be as strong as it ever was if not stronger and cable will be protected.
Attached Images

ZZZZZ likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Purchase stud shoe. Straighten out one leg of it. You now have an L shape bracket. Slip bracket between stud and drywall. Screw one leg of bracket (the one you didn't straighten) to one side of the stub. Using pliers bent the other leg toward the stud as much as possible. Then using C clamp bend the leg flat to side of stud. Fasten with screws.

Stud will be as strong as it ever was if not stronger and cable will be protected.
nice. I hadn't see that kind of bracket before.

A 2x4 to sister the post probably costs less.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
The weight of a 2x4 is negligible compared to any load that the wall is carrying from above.

But if the bottom plate of the wall is also damaged, that's a concern that needs to be addressed first.
This is what I'm concerned about sistering 2 2X4 at the sides of the post. See my arrows showing where the bottom plates are missing. (2nd photo showing the right part of the same wall) Because of thus missing plates, I'm concerned if I put 2 more 2X4 posts, it would be too heavy in the extreme cases such as earthquake.

That's why I'm a littlle more leaning towards what the engineer told me: jamb. I'm not sure if I should put a whole jamb to jamb the whole hole, or only half of the hole so the other half can be used to run the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I do a full Jamb or a part Jamb for this hole?-img_6860.jpg   Should I do a full Jamb or a part Jamb for this hole?-img_6861.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
retired framer

Carry on and ignore those bits that are missing. Your bracket is pulling the stud down tight, and even if there is a space there you won't bend the bottom plate into it.

Last edited by Nealtw; 05-28-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Carry on and ignore those bits that are missing. Your bracket is pulling the stud down tight, and even if there is a space there you won't bend the bottom plate into it.
Which part is the bracket you mean? what do you mean by dend the bottom plate into it? you mean to insert the wooden plate into the holes?

So to carry on, should I use 2 2X4 to sister the main post? Or just to fill the jamb?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 AM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
This is what I'm concerned about sistering 2 2X4 at the sides of the post. See my arrows showing where the bottom plates are missing. (2nd photo showing the right part of the same wall) Because of thus missing plates, I'm concerned if I put 2 more 2X4 posts, it would be too heavy in the extreme cases such as earthquake.

That's why I'm a littlle more leaning towards what the engineer told me: jamb. I'm not sure if I should put a whole jamb to jamb the whole hole, or only half of the hole so the other half can be used to run the wires.

In these two pictures here, I do not see anything that needs more attention.
Advertisement