Shed With A Small Upstairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 773

Shed With a Small Upstairs

Hello Everyone,

Please see the attached drawings of the 12x12 shed I'd like to build. I pulled the permit yesterday. At 6'3" the attic isn't very tall and at 14:12 the roof is pretty steep. The only way I see to increase headroom is to build a little knee wall around the perimeter. Is a 1 or 2 ft. knee wall a ridiculous idea? I did a quick sketch. Is it worth the work for an extra foot of headroom?
Attached Thumbnails
Shed With a Small Upstairs-shed.jpg   Shed With a Small Upstairs-shed2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 320

Its only a storage area, you don't even need the 6'3" of head room.

What do you plan on storing up there and what provisions for access? Consider an operable door on one of the gable ends.

I would also put in a continuous ridge vent, with soffit intakes. Shed attics will get hot.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Of course you're right. I will stick with the lower headroom. And I like the idea of a gable door. I'm not sure what will end up up there. I would just like the ability to use it. I thought of building a Lapeyre stair for access.

I have to have footers and the shed has to be tied down. I've attached another drawing. I am planning to use 2x8 p.t. attached to the rim with joist hangers on 16" centers for the floor joists. Do you think structure, as drawn, is adequate?
Attached Thumbnails
Shed With a Small Upstairs-shed4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

If you would use a gambrel roof it would give you more room and better acess for only a slightly higher cost.You can buy the trusses at most lumberyards.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #5

I considered the gambrel roof, but my wife doesn't like it. We have a very small yard and I have to be careful with whatever I build, as I'll be stuck with it for the rest of my days. At the risk of sounding like a prude, I'd like my little shed to be a work of art. I kicked around the idea of Shou-sugi-ban charred siding. I wonder, though, if the charred siding is filthy to the touch.

Does my floor look alright or do I need another beam down the center?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

I had never heard of this siding and had to look it up.I really like it too.Not the fully charred but from the middle down.I understand about the way you want it look and taking pride in it.
As far as the beam,I need some more info.You speced 12'X12' but I don't see the size of the floor joist.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

I'm glad you like the Shou Sugi Ban. I am itching to try it. The floor joists are 2x8 16" o.c.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

It's obvious to me you want a quality shed .To me ,the 2X8's on a 12' span would be borderline with the 4 footings on the corners. A lot depends on the load and the flooring you will have inside.
I would go with 2X10's or at least ad some blocking between the 2X8's and glue and screw a 3/4" t&g subfloor.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRealtor View Post
Thanks for the reply. Of course you're right. I will stick with the lower headroom. And I like the idea of a gable door. I'm not sure what will end up up there. I would just like the ability to use it. I thought of building a Lapeyre stair for access.

I have to have footers and the shed has to be tied down. I've attached another drawing. I am planning to use 2x8 p.t. attached to the rim with joist hangers on 16" centers for the floor joists. Do you think structure, as drawn, is adequate?

you need to double up the rim bands where the joists hanger to... and build it so the roof lands on the wall above the doubles as well. 2x10 for the bands also

edit.. you want to make the footers centered on the corners too

Last edited by hand drive; 07-18-2014 at 05:22 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

ya, that foundation would not meet code in my area. a doormer could give you more space in attic. consider also a roof skylight or sun tube if your shed does not have power.

when i built my shed, the hardest part i found was how to properly measure & cut a bird's mouth connection of roof to double header. i should have studied that more to learn proper way. to compensate, i installed hurricane ties.

also, i knew i was going to paint the intrior exposed rafters.. i wish i had decided to paint them BEFORE installing.

as a minimal effort, go to local library and look at books on sheds and fine one that is 12'x12'. look at details of construction and mimic that.

Last edited by Knucklez; 07-19-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

I've made some changes. Please tell me if this makes more sense. Dig a 6" wide footer all the way around the structure. The stud walls would sit on the footer. Then I will fill inside the footers with gravel and sand, followed by some sort of paver for the floor. I like the dormer idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed With a Small Upstairs-shed.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 798

You will need to bounce those changes off the AHJ before you build.
Between the foundation and added height, it is not the permitted structure.

It may not be a problem, but it could be.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRealtor View Post
I've made some changes. Please tell me if this makes more sense. Dig a 6" wide footer all the way around the structure. The stud walls would sit on the footer. Then I will fill inside the footers with gravel and sand, followed by some sort of paver for the floor. I like the dormer idea.

not sure about the paver floor but to get the extra height studs you can just use long studs and put a ledger up for your ceiling joists bolted to the studs at the height you want the ceiling/upper floor. Then rest your joists over the ledger bearing on it and nailing the joists to the side of the studs. this will lock your wall into the joists and prevent bow out of the walls and not create a hinge pivot by providing continuous studs plate to plate.

edit... that won't work because the ledger will show in the room. could just ledger and hanger joists to ledger, you will not get the lock in as you would nailing joists to side of studs. other option is to notch ledger into stud but takes out half of stud for notch so weakens stud from that point up to roof.

probably better to run joists nailing to side of studs and then run blocking in wall catching underside of joists and then fill in blocking between joists as a band of sorts. more ideas if they come....

Last edited by hand drive; 07-20-2014 at 08:46 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

I know this thread is a few months old..... But I built a 12x12 two story shed over 10 years ago. I had a small lot and needed room for satellite equipment (I was a dealer/installer).
I made the side walls 10' high.... Then if memory serves me, I marked 7' ceiling height.... used 2x6 1' on center for the second story floor.... I think the roof was 12 in 12 pitch..... so I was able to stand up in the middle (and go up the stairs) without hitting my head (I am 6'3")

When I sold my cabin.... the people that purchased the property made the storage shed into a very cute cottage. The upstairs became a bedroom
Attached Thumbnails
Shed With a Small Upstairs-glenview-z12x12shed.jpg   Shed With a Small Upstairs-glenview-zbench12x12shed.jpg   Shed With a Small Upstairs-glenview-zstair12x12shed.jpg   Shed With a Small Upstairs-glenview-zupstairs12x12shed.jpg  
skypros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skypros For This Useful Post:
hand drive (11-04-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement