Shed Roof Over Entrance - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Shed Roof Over Entrance

Hello All,

I have included a picture and I'm looking for input for the best approach to build a shed style roof over the basement entrance. This winder was brutal. We had 5 feet of snow and drifts stacked in this corner. At times I could not get into the basement when it was frozen.....

I'm not sure if I should build a header, or build a box to fit the corner to support my rafters. The kitchen window is shown on the upper left, and a bed room window on the wall straight ahead. I was going to 45 a 4 x 4 support back to the concrete foundation. I'm just unsure what the best approach is to build the rafter support system. In total it will be 8' long by 4' wide
Attached Thumbnails
Shed Roof Over Entrance-shed-roof.jpg  
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,654

The corner is plagued with eddy currents and all it takes to prevent them in that location is a section of fence similar to the partial fence panel in the photo but would only need to be about 4 ft. tall. In fact a shed roof could make it worse.

It would need be in close proximity to the house on the windward side and could have a 4-6 ft. gap and stand off of the leeward wind corner ( a walk through ) running a couple of feet beyond that corner.

If it were built with portability in mind it could be taken down or moved during months other than winter.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 06-17-2015 at 11:40 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 93

This is along the lines of my thinking
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
This is along the lines of my thinking
That's a real nice looking roof and they make an entrance more pleasant when it's raining but it just won't stop the snow drifting in the corner.

Another serious consideration is how it is to be attached to the original structure. If strict guidelines aren't followed pertaining to flashings the end result is usually rotted walls.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement