Shed Building/Design Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Shed Building/Design Help

Newbie here, thanks for taking the time to read, and any advice that you provide.

Im looking into a shed. All I know is that it can only be 150sf and 1 single story.

So my question lies with this... Do I build my own shed,buy the pieces of the shed and put them together, or do I buy a premade shed?

Has anyone had any better luck with any of these options? My thoughts are I won't be able to get exactly what I want with the premade or puzzle pieces, but do I really want to shell out the extra $$$ for doing the whole thing myself? Is it worth it in the long run?

Thanks in advance

Rob
ReelDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,940

Re: Shed Building/Design Help

No one here is going to know what your ability's are, what tools you already own, if time is a factor.
Not sure what's in your area, but around here there's lots of places selling sheds with at least a hundred different designs so you would be hard pressed to not find one you like.
You can then just customize the inside to fit your needs.
Building it yourself would be the least expensive, but if you've never built one before there's a strong learning curve and will take far longer to build.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No one here is going to know what your ability's are, what tools you already own, if time is a factor.
Not sure what's in your area, but around here there's lots of places selling sheds with at least a hundred different designs so you would be hard pressed to not find one you like.
You can then just customize the inside to fit your needs.
Building it yourself would be the least expensive, but if you've never built one before there's a strong learning curve and will take far longer to build.
^^^this^^^

sept, in my case. i looked at 1000's of google pics. and din't like any one of the standard sheds. why ? because they look like sheds.

i just built my 10x12 shed, my design and construction.
my advice to most DIY'rs. if you are ok with a shed that looks like a shed.
pic out a kit and assemble it yourself.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,486

The first one is always the hardest, but it is a good project to learn the basics. Learning carpentry is a valuable skill. Accumulating the necessary tools will pay dividends beyond what you might save on the shed. I've built a good number for myself and helped others along the way. If you have the space and the time, DIY and we can help.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

The tools arn't the problem, if I don't have them all then I have access to them.

I have done my fair share of carpentry in the past, so my knowledge to do this isn't at the beginner stage, and not to mention I would have help from a couple people that know their way around the saw.

I was just curious if I got a "puzzle piece" shed that the framework would be all out of wack, or having many flaws in it. Or if I'm wasting my money on a prebuilt shed, if I know somewhat what I'm doing already.

I think from the sounds of things I will build my own shed from scratch, and get exactly what I want. And don't think I won't be asking questiong still lol

Thanks again
ReelDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 996

i know someone that just built a home depot kit shed. he didn't say anything about funkyness.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
design , shed